Amp problems revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp problems revisited

I've had my Sunn Concert Lead (solid state) sitting under my desk in hopes that whatever problem it had would work itself out. That and I haven't had the money to fix it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What it's doing is quite annoying. I get my regular sound. All the knobs do their jobs properly. On top of it is a super high pitched squealy motherfucker of a noise, like microphonic feedback. On a tube amp this is a slam dunk. Replace the tubes and be done with it. But on a solid state amp, I'm at a loss. I had it open earlier and was poking around at everything with a drumstick. The sound never quit, and the only thing that changed was when I bumped any of the boards (there are three. One for each channel, and one for the power section) there was a loud crackle.

I'd like to get this thing up and running. If anyone has some ideas of things to try, I'm game. All the amp repair sites I've been to are focused on tube amps, like anyone cares about those relics of a bygone era (nevermind that my Concert Lead has a sticker date of October '77 [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Amp problems revisited

Well, that good thing is being solid state, and stereo repair place can handle it.

There now. That didn't help a bit, did it?

Comment

If you are getting that kind of noise out of a solid state, I would bet you have something shorting out somewhere in the preamp section or possibly a loose connection. I like the "sitting under my desk in hopes that whatever problem it had would work itself out." but I have yet to find that method in any of my repair books.

Matt

Comment

It's a strange and time consuming method, but it works surprisingly well with home electronics. CD players die, three months later they work again. Stereo craps out, it's back in operation a week later. But like I said, it was mostly because I didn't have the cash. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Too bad that method won't work on your black heart! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My heart's not black, just my sense of humour. It's also quite bent and twisted, like a Perones-stricken wang.

Umm.... Don't ask.

Comment

OK! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Speaking of amp problems I have a Marshall JTM 60 that isrunning at half volume at best and sounds like crap, I've changed the power tubes but that didn't fix the problem any ideas?

Comment

It's a strange and time consuming method, but it works surprisingly well with home electronics.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can I charge by the hour for that kinda repair ?? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey diffrent strings, your problem may be in the effects loop. If the contacts for the loop get dirty, the amp will think the loop is there when you have nothing plugged into it and when you do, you may be losing the signal as well. Simple fix, if that's the problem. Take it apart and clean up the contacts and also make sure they close when no plug is connected.

Matt

Comment

Well, you could try. I don't know if it would go over too well with the customer.

"Yeah, it was up under my desk for the last month. It didn't fix itself. That'll be $5,282." [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Matt I'll try that

Comment

Working...
                      X