MXR Flangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Flangers

What can you guys tell me about these? I have seen 2 different ones, one with the input and output jacks on both sides and a permanently attached power cord, the other with an aapter type cord.

I noticed that they are fairly expensive. Are they worth it? I have a Boss Flanger and it just isn't cutting it.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: MXR Flangers

I remember the MXR pedals from the 70's-80's are excellent sounding. Although I cannot speak for the current line since I havent heard them.

Want a good flanger? Look into a TC Electronic Stereo chorus/flanger pedal.

Comment

Old MXR's can be noisy but have a good flange sound. You might want to keep that in mind when considering an older floor unit that you'll need to hush the signal or have a noise suppressor.
      TC electronics do make great stuff and their flanger/chorus units are a well regarded sounding floor effect.

TC electronic Chorus/Flanger

Comment

The nice thing about the TC is that is has a gain control so if some of your other effects are dropping your signal you can goose it a bit or just get more gain out of your amp. The LED also gently pulses according to the rate of effect. It doesn't require a wall wart either.

The new MXR pedals are almost all true bypass and are built very well. I haven't played thru the new flanger but you can check them out on the Dunlop site:

www.jimdunlop.com

Comment

You can not compare a TC and an MXR. They are for two totally different tones. I have had both. Personally prefer the MXR for flange but that is just me. It is "dirty" and warner. Listen to old Van Halen. That is MXR..he used the phase and the flange a lot. They are both great sounds, just different.

Comment

I agree with BigD. I have an MXR (older with the attached power cord but post Dunlop aquisition.) It sounds perfect to me no noise and
            seems to be true bypass. It is Van Halen's Flanger tone. It's what I was after for a flanger for years till I found this. And its not not my posession especailly for the 10 bucks I paid for it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ive had for about 4 years and I've never had an issue with it.
            The TC SCF is cool but does sound differant than the MXR but still cool. A little too digital sounding for me though even though it is an analog pedal it just sounds to hitech.
            Gil

Comment

I have to respectfully disagree on the sonic quality of the flange in the TC Electronics SCF. I've owned & used one for about 5 years, & in my opinion the flange is very much its weakest point. Very clangy & metallic sounding, & does not play well with distortion well to my ear at all... if, however, you seek that ultra-pristine, bordering on *transparent* Eric Johnson chorus sound, there is nothing finer in a pedal format than the SCF, in my humble opinion, & I've owned & played a slew of 'em...

Fulltone Choralflange has MUCH warmer & more organic sounding flange than does the TC to my ear. Pricey, & is not *the best* at anything it does, but probably one of the most versatile tools currently out there.

Neither box approaches the trippy sophistication & "jet plane" flange textures of an old MXR, which in turn pales in comparison to an old vintage ADA flanger... Can't speak to the differences between newer & older models of the MXR...

If money is no object, flange is a holy grail effect for you, & you wish to be done with it once & for all, get the Foxrox Paradox TZF:

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/

Also, & most folks probably already know this... if you get some of your dirt from stompboxes, & plan to combine it with flange - flange should go before dirtboxes, not after them, as it will merge much better with the dirt.

Comment

I found the SCF works best with a really clear amp like a VHT or Framus. With my Boogies it was good, with the VHT all the effects rang thru loud and clear. True, the MXR has that jet like swoosh that nobody seems to get close to. The Choralflange tends to break up with higher oupt pickups like EMGs.

Comment

My biggest gripe with my (older model) Choralflange is headroom... purportedly the newer models have increased headroom which might very well address the merge w/ higher output pups... only speculating though, no experience here.

Comment

I called some dealers that specialize in boutique gear and they all said the Choralflange is great. Then they asked about my pickups and all kinda laughed and said it's great if you're not playing metal or playing thru powerful pickups. I also found the Boss chorus pedals to not have much headroom as well. The Line 6 MM4 just plain sucks.

Comment

I have the TC SCF and it is simply amazing. I A/B'd it against some other units and it blew them all away.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
                        What can you guys tell me about these? I have seen 2 different ones, one with the input and output jacks on both sides and a permanently attached power cord, the other with an aapter type cord.

I noticed that they are fairly expensive. Are they worth it? I have a Boss Flanger and it just isn't cutting it.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The fixed cord with relief is the older unit. The plug in is a newer version.

I've only used the MXR and rack units for the most part over the years. Although I did dabble in the ADA for a bit I loved the MXR. Mine was from the mid 70's and it cost about 180.00 back in its day new. I just think through a higher gain setup, it was noisy, but not unreasonable.

The only TC I recall was a bandmates who played through a VHT stack with a '52 Les Paul modified with humbuckers. It didn't have the full bodied character of the MXR. I used to use my MXR flanger as a type of chorus effect as well, but again it wasn't warm chorus in the sense of an old Boss CE2. So if you want a unit that can do both decent to a degree of having the effect in a floor unit, the TC can fit the bill. Otherwise, get an Alesis Quadraverb 2 or some similar rack unit like a TC G-major.

I just checked prices on Ebay. Those old ones were going for far less money years ago, less than a hundred. They've gone up considerably.

[ March 27, 2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Dude ]

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys!

It sounds like the MXR is what I want, I hate the metalic sound of the Boss and someone said the TC unit has a similair sound.

As far as the noise, I'm not using a super high gain setup, just the gain from my Marshall set at about 3 O'clock, and I don't use stomp boxes for any of my distortion. I have a hush unit and I run all my stuff with a switcher so it is out of the loop when not in use.

As long as the noise isn't louder than the guitar I think I can deal with it.
                          Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Sounds like a solid decision to me, Rick. Some of the more versatile units mentioned here are really cool, but my experience has always been that for the best tones from any one type of effect, the ticket is always to get a dedicated box. For flanging, get a flanger. Tough to go wrong with the MXR.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy:
                              I called some dealers that specialize in boutique gear and they all said the Choralflange is great. Then they asked about my pickups and all kinda laughed and said it's great if you're not playing metal or playing thru powerful pickups. I also found the Boss chorus pedals to not have much headroom as well. The Line 6 MM4 just plain sucks.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Interesting, but yeah, that really doesn't surprise me that much, given my experience with the Fulltone. The old vintage BOSS CE-1 is the only one of the BOSS line that does anything for me, & that's Holy Grail material. My buddy has the MM4 - jack of all trades, master of nuthin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X