Amp choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp choices?

I just can't make up my mind which amp should I get. My choices are Marshall DSL 50 Triple X Single rectifier. Which one do you recommend?
    I play metal and pop rock. Ozzy, Dream Theater, Def Leppard, sometimes a little bit nu metal.
    please help me decide
    thanks

Re: Amp choices?

I had the same problem you did, a few months back. The solution? The Peavey Triple XXX. This thing absolutely rips me a new one everytime I crank it at band practice. Seriously, although this is the most expensive piece of gear I've ever bought, it certainly was the best amp buy I've ever made. EVER. The bias trim and damping are absolutely stunning features, and really allow you to dial in what you want. My band plays Ozzy, Megadeth, ect. With the three channels, I can go from a fender clean tone, to a raunchy rythym tone, to a mid-range orianted lead tone. It just doesn't get better for me. Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Bugs, This thing is awesome, and an awesome price, but I would need to know pretty quick.

http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...;f=10;t=003929

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Hi shawn
        thanks for your offer, but I can't afford it now.
        thankyou anyway. It's a monster deal.

Comment

I have a mint condition Single Recto. If you're interested let me know. [email protected]

Comment

i used to be a XXX guy but my current fave is the mesa F-100 great sounding amp. they're about $1K new i'd guess you can score one at a decent price on ebay.
            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

find a used 5150. better than a triple X at half the cost

Comment

It sounds like he's gonna need some versatility though. 5150 is great, but it definitely isn't as versatile as the XXX or the Recto.

Comment

thanks guys
                  yea, actually I am going to get one of those amps on ebay. I want to spend no more than 750.
                  thanks

Comment

thanks guys
                    yea, actually I am going to get one of those amps on ebay. I want to spend no more than 750.
                    thanks

Comment

By the way, is there any good thing about marshall? Most people seem to like mesa and peavey more.
                      I think I am going to get xxx or single rectifier. How do the distortions sound for these two?
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bugsbunny:
                        By the way, is there any good thing about marshall?
                        thanks
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There are tons of things good about the Marshall still. I have just come to realize and respect that this is a predominantly mesa/peavey/boutique amp crowd. Most here like to live by the amp theory more gain is better. Which there is nothing wrong with that.

Mostly anytime you're talking about new Marshalls the talk here about it is bad. Which is fine because bad apples slip through, I know a guy who's had a crap Boogie and even crappier customer support from them. Bad apples fall everywhere.

Personally I love my Marshall JCM 2000 and would only trade it in for a completely custom Marshall that is up to my specs [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If you're looking for versatility, the XXX can't be beat.

The Marshall...I can't stand it.

Single Recto is good, but might take a while to tweak and I don't feel it offers the range of tonal options that the XXX does.

The XXX will probably be cheapest, especially used. That GenzBenz is supposedly killer. If you can't afford that price, I'm not sure what to tell you as all the amps you mentioned are at least $1k brand new.

Comment

Can dsl 50 provide the tone of metallica live in SF with the symphony without using pedal?

Comment

fyi, the mesa F series amps don't sound like recto's at all. they're very close to the mark series sound.
                              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                              X