Amp choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp choices?

I personally am a Crate player (became one cause I couldn't afford a Marshall origianlly)...But learned that what I had was great. I love my Crate GFX1200H head and 2 4x12 cabs....I get great tone. I figure as long as I am happy with it, and love how it sounds..that's all that matters.

Comment

I just bought a new Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122 a week ago. I love the tone I get from this amp. What I like most about it is I need no effects pedals to get the tone and gain I was looking for. This amp sings. But damn was it expensive!!!

Good Luck in your search...

Comment

I will second that Marshall preference. No other. No pedals. My Jacksons and my AVT275 sound like a dozen angry tigers are about to burst out of the cabinet. I would only play Peavey if I had Playskool guitars, or needed a cheap amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybersavior:
          I will second that Marshall preference. No other. No pedals. My Jacksons and my AVT275 sound like a dozen angry tigers are about to burst out of the cabinet. I would only play Peavey if I had Playskool guitars, or needed a cheap amp.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I LOVE your avatar! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

No offense meant here, but the Marshall AVT series isn't even in the same league as the amps they're talking about. It's a solid-state amp with a tube in the preamp - and with as gainy as those things get, you CERTAINLY shouldn't need a pedal in front of it! The amps these guys are talking about are ALL tube. If you use the AVT, but consider the XXX, 5150, and others "toy" amps, you need to do a little more homework. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

As far as Marshall goes, IMHO, the last "great" amp they put out was the JCM 900 series of amps, and that's a stretch! I wish I would have quit buying Marshall after the JCM 800, because the JCM 900 50 watt, JCM 2000 DSL 50 watt, and DSL401 were a complete waste of my money. I'd love to get a modded JCM 800, 50 watt Plexi, or Super Lead, but as far as my playing (all at home), I have no need for an amp like that anymore. Line 6 does just fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bugsbunny:
            thanks guys
            yea, actually I am going to get one of those amps on ebay. I want to spend no more than 750.
            thanks
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Bugs!,
            If you're interested I'm selling my Peavey XXX 2x12 combo. I'll let it go for $750. It's the same thing as the head but with added reverb and 2 Sheffeild speakers. You can also disconnect the speakers and run it just like the head(I've done this before) It's in excellent shape w/ the foot switch. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] You can e-mail me at: [email protected] for pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybersavior:
              [qb] I will second that Marshall preference. No other. No pedals. My Jacksons and my AVT275 sound like a dozen angry tigers are about to burst out of the cabinet. I would only play Peavey if I had Playskool guitars, or needed a cheap amp.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Marshall AVT?!?!?!?! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I mean those Marshalls sound like someone installed your one chinese preamp tube upside down, hooked the cabinet up with an instrument cable, installed 10 Metal Zone pedals in the effects loop for extra "grind" and took a wet carpet and threw it over the entire rig.

If you call a Neck-Through Jackson a Playskool guitar, than I guess my 5150 will destroy your funhouse!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the Mesa Rectifier better than your other choices. It has a better singing lead tone than the others. The Marshall has a great tone and crunch for chords, but seems to lack in the lead department, just my opinion.

Comment

Have you ever checked out the Peavey Ultra Plus?

I used to own one and it has 3 channels for clean, crunch and lead.

They go for pretty cheap and sound great, more tonal variation than my 5150's, but they aren't quite as rough and brutal (which is what I love, thanks Ed).

Think of the Ultra Plus as a smooth Caddilac and the 5150 as the hot-rod Camaro. The Caddy has more accesories but the 'Maro is pure tire-shredding enjoyment.

Try 'em both if you get a chance!

Comment

you want the XXX!

bottom line
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                    X