Line 6 live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 live

I play a 1st year Flextone HD thru Randall and Carvin cabinets wired in true stereo taking advantage of the entire 300 watts (150 per side). The other guitar player in my band playes a 1st year Dual Recto and sometimes a new Triple Recto if he needs 3 channels for some shows. He is selling his triple to buy a Vetta or an HD147. He just can't take all the compliments I get on my sound from people attending our rehearsals anymore. My sound is just like you described:"just like the record". Anybody who says that a modeling amp doesn't cut through the mix at a loud gig has never played thru one. Now.. let me explain.. The Dual Recitifier and the Triple can both SLAY my Flextone once their volume gets past 5 but I never have nor never will play an arena large enough to need that kind of stage volume. We have an $8,000.00 PA system that takes care of volume. The stage amps are basically just monitors for us to hear and to add presence to the mix. I play my Flextone HD on between 4-5 on the master and 5 on the channel volume and it is crazy sick twisted ear bleeding loud.

Line 6 live

So I was at the show last night, and I noticed something crazy. Himsa and Death by Stereo both used tube heads (Peavey 5150II/Mesa Triple Rec and Dual Rec/Dual Rec, respectively), and while the guys in Himsa sounded pretty good, the guys in Bleeding Through both used Line 6 amps (Vetta and a Flextone II) and I thought they had the best tones out of all of them! They sounded almost exactly like on the albums too..the whole band did really. Now granted, those guys are much better guitarists than the guys in Death by Stereo, but I was shocked on how good the Line 6 amps sounded live...I'm sorta thinking about looking more into those instead of the Rectifier that I've been trying to save for...

Comment

Re: Line 6 live

Everyone also "knows" that a POD sounds horrible through an amp, but I'm having a different experience. See this thread.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I'm with JG on this one. I play thru a Vetta Head and Genz Benz cab. I can do small bar gigs to as big as I want to go and keep a pretty consistent sound.

Our other guitar player amp craped so I offered hi my Flex 3 to use, nope he borrowed a Mesa Dual Rec for a very small bar gig the other night.

His reasoning was "Mesas are killer amps dude, it will sound great". Don't ever bring an amp to a gig to use for the first time [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

What a f**king disaster!!! Three hours of turn it up (damn too loud), no turn it down (sounds like sh*t , I wonder why ???). Just what you need in a small space a 4x12 that sounds like sh*t when its low enuff to so we can all still hear after the show or so freaking loud that people were complaining. When he turned it up so it got some good gain and sag I could not hear my self think.

If you can afford to have two rigs knock your self out with a Mesa head and some kind of combo for the small gigs. If you an only get one look at the Line 6 stuff.

Disclaimer : I'm not picking on Mesa, just the inherient behavior of tubes amps.

Peace out................

Comment

Hammer, I love Mesa too but I agree with you 100%. He is either too low or too loud. When he is too loud the Mesa sounds awesome but unfortunately it is too friggin loud. He also has an entire pedalboard full of stomp boxes to get what I get with just my Flextone and the longboard. He is constantly tweaking. I did the smart thing. I set up 3 completely different banks of sounds. One for rehearsal. One for small clubs of 200 or less and one for large clubs 500 or more. Each of my "gig" settings has 3 banks with 4 presets in each: Clean, Rhythm, Solo 1, Solo 2. Each bank is a different amp.
          Bank 1 JC120 and Marshall Plexi
          Bank 2 JC120 and Marshall JCM800
          Bank 3 Fender Blackface and Soldano SLO100
          Bank 4 JC120 and Mesa Dual Tremoverb
          This way I can cover everything from Led Zep, old Aerosmith and Kiss to Metallica, Dokken, Winger and Ratt. It is a great set up and so user friendly once you take the time to set it up the patches correctly. I don't even touch it anymore.
          [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I play a Spider II live, and I love my tone.
            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Can you get any death metal type sounds out of the flextone II?

Comment

Go listen to This Is Love, This Is Murderous by Bleeding Through...the tone from the right speaker is a Flextone II...that's EXACTLY how Scott sounded the other night. I think I'm gonna pick up a Line 6 amp instead of the Single Rec that I've been wanting when I get the money saved...

Comment

I have a fine tube rig (VHT2902, Rockmaster, TCE G-Major) and also have a Line6 AX2 for practice & backup. I would play either live but I must play the Line6 through a cab. I'm glad I have 2 good choices.
                  I play tonight and not sure yet what to take. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'm in a slump and the Line6 is more forgiving when your fingers are slow and sloppy.

Comment

What I don't understand is why the guys whose band members are running tube amps at gigs and can't get it right don't make them get a speaker anttenuator. That is what they are made for. Hook a Marshall SE100 up to the Mesa and they will have killer tone at usable volume. How hard is that. They don't need to sell their gear and switch to Line 6 just to keep up. They might quite possibly sound considerably better at that point.

Comment

BigDaddyD, a big thing about the Line 6 amps for me is that they are everything you'd need in one box. If I got a Vetta or something, I could get rid of my rack, because all of that stuff is in the amp already. So basically for me, the rig would be the head, cab, my two pedals, and my MIDI Controller...4 cables in all, easy setup.

Comment

I was just jamming for the last 2 hours with both my Tube rig and Line6 amp. Their were certain songs I liked each amp for. The Line6 smoked on pure glam metal stuff, dives, harmonics, and sounded like Poison in a box. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The tube rig killed the Line6 for Creed, AC-DC, Zeppelin, Chili Peppers, and The Darkness tones. Ok.. laugh a little [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But seriously, Yes, the lure of Line6 stuff is having it all in one convenient package.. if that package suits your needs. I had a POD PRO too that I bought for the same reason: as a live rig replacement to simplify things. I hated the sound, so I gained nothing with the simple setup. Line6 is not for everyone but neither is a Mesa, Soldano, Bogner, etc..

What someone NEEDS to make is tube amp with solid state modeling! Hmmm?

Comment

what's your point? I know what their allure is. I am not dissing Line 6. I happen to like them. I am responding more to a comment that John made about how his other guitar players MESA slays his line 6 at high volume

Comment

A power brake is absolutely what he needs. It sort of negates the need for a triple rectifier though when he already has a dual.

Comment

I jammed with a country band recently, playing Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, stuff like that.

A week later, played some 60s and 70s covers with a kinda hippie-dippy burnout band.

Not too long after that I played satriani, vai, kansas, ozzy, whitesnake with some other guys. And yeah, I'm in a band with them now. *grin*

Used the Vetta for all three situations, it handled them great, end of story. I could have made it through with most tube amps, but they would have really lacked in one genre or another. And I'd have to cart around more fx, etc. All I did was find out what songs we were going to play, and learned them and dialled in/saved tones for each situation.

Oh, and the amp cut through just fine in every tryout. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X