Mesa .22+...what else is there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa .22+...what else is there?

I respectfully disagree. Best thing about the 22+ was the lead tone, imho. Subway blues sounded like a cardboard box to me, Fseries were ok but didn't move me, 50cal w/EL84s was great, but that's just a studio .22with twice the power. The 6L6 50cals sounded hollow to me. Carvin X60B - are you kidding me? Those suck! I played through one when they first came out, wasn't impressed. Saw one at the local MusicGoRound, gave it a spin, sounded like two cats screwing on a trash can lid. Crate VC series had great clean tones, shitty build quality, average overdrives. If those were hand made, then the people who built em had messed up hands. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Originally posted by jgcable:
    I had a Studio 22+ and it did get a great rhythm tone with a Les Paul.Especially for recording. The clean wasn't the greatest and the lead tone certainly needed outboard help. I don't see what all the hype is about regarding this Boogie but to each his own. The F30, Subway Blues and the 50 Cal. are all better choices IMHO. Personally I think the Carvin Belair, the Carvin X60B combo, the Soldano Atomic 16 and the Astroverb along with some of the older Marshall tube combos are better. Heck, you can pickup a Carvin MTS3212 for the same price. That is a great amp or sure. I even thought that my Crate VC508,20 and 30 all got great tone (and were all hand made in St. Louis).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

To add, I've owned a Soldano Atomic 16 combo and got rid of it post haste.

Comment

So who among the .22 owners have used the direct out for sound recording?

How does it sound ?

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:
          So who among the .22 owners have used the direct out for sound recording?

How does it sound ?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it sounds like the studio preamp, it'll sound ok for cleans and TERRIBLE for leads or dirty rhythms.

Pete

Comment

Working...
          X