Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker attenuators, Hotplate, Air brake, etc.. ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker attenuators, Hotplate, Air brake, etc.. ???

Hey gang,
    I am looking into speaker attenuators, air brakes, power soaks, whatever you want to call them. What can you guys tell me about them. I am looking into all options. I want to use one with my Mesa Roadking and my Mesa F30. What can you people recommend?? ANy thing good or bad about any particular brands??

I dont play live much, so I am basically looking to run the amp hotter to get better tone at lower volumes around the house. I want my ears to last!!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I would appreciate any advice or input you can provice. Thanks!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Speaker attenuators, Hotplate, Air brake, etc.. ???

OK I am bumping this to the top. C'mon there must be SOMEONE who has experience with These units that can offer some assistance or advice. I would appreciate any input. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Please.....
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I have a Marshall power brake. I guess it works fine. I think this is best for getting a cranked sound at more of a medium volume. I can't seem to get as good a tone at bedroom volume levels. It may not be the power brakes fault, as I really think there is something added by pushing your speakers and really moving air. I'd say get it if you want to play with a band to get a cranked sound without blasting everyone, but I don't use it around the house. I've heard good things about the THD hotplate, but never used one.

Comment

A friend of mine has an attenuator made by Trainwreck. I'm not sure what the name of the model is but it has only two knobs with one being a "Bedroom Level" knob. He lives in an apartment and can now get a great tone out of his Dual Recto 1/2 stack at a low volume. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never used an attenuator, but I've always heard great things about the THD Hotplate. And I've heard it's a very safe unit for your amp as well. I've heard/read some negative things about the Marshall Power Brake (sorry ShredFred), partly due to safety for amps and tone coloring reasons.

I have had contact with THD regarding some Yellow Jackets, and it was a very good experience--very helpful people.

Stu

Comment

I highly recommend the Marshall SE 100 when you can find it on Ebay. There were 3 on the ebay recently. Otherwise, the Groove Tubes one is great, Marshall was actually licensing the Groove Tubes desing and got tired of paying the fee. I have two of these at the moment. I would buy more, but I only have one amp. They are also a full speaker load, as well as an attenuator and a direct box/speaker sim.

Comment

The THD units are great, but the more you attenuate, the more they mess with the tone. Some of that is inherent in an attenuators design brief. Speaker cone travel has a lot to do with that cranked sound, and the lower you run the overall volume, the less of that you get.

From what I understand, the DR. Z, Trainwreck, and Allesandro are supposed to be the most transparant.

Comment

Working...
              X