Cords... What is your setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cords... What is your setup?

Going between pedals I prefer as little cord as possible. Those short 6" or 1' patch cords are the best. I use 20' cords before and after the pedals.

Re: Cords... What is your setup?

Yep - shorter is better, and heavier guage helps too. Of course when all you have is a Flextone, my 18' cord into the amp makes it all pretty easy!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I recommend getting the best quality cords you can afford, and don't buy them any longer than you'll need them to be. (too short is no good either of course, that way you'll just damage them...)
      Remember it's no use having thousands of dollars worth of amps and cabs if you use a "shoelace" to connect your instrument to it!

I have just bought a set of D'Addario "planet waves" cords for my monitors, and for my guitar...I had to wait for the one I needed from my POD to the computer, so I had it temporarily set up with some cheap no-name cable. When I later replaced it (weakest link in the chain), wow you wouldn't believe the difference in sound dynamics...there was just so much more headroom and static noise was gone too.

So again, I know how easy it is but DON'T skimp on cables if you are serious about your guitar tone!!
      I have been dealing in home stereo equipment many years and there is an old rule of thumb in the trade that says cabling for your stereo should be in the range of 10-15% of your total budget!
      Some food for thought...

Comment

Usually a 15'-20' cable from my guitar to my first pedal, 6" cables between whatever pedals I'm using, and usually a 10'-20' cable from my last pedal to my amp.

Comment

20' chords live.

short as possible when recording.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Cool... Good advice! I probably should've been more specific: guitar > 18' > crybaby > 6in > Overdrive > 18' > amp. Effects send > 18' > chorus > 6in > delay > 18' > return. That seems like alot, and I guess I was curious if there is signal degradation with long cords. I've been using 18' LiveWires.

Comment

There is some signal degraation, but it's probably not worth screwing with your setup too much. If it works for you, it works. End of story.

Comment

Get some George L's, cut em to size, you're done.

FYI, If you use EMG pickups, you can get away with longer/cheaper cords, since you're not going to be as affected by them as passive pickups are.

Pete

Comment

i just use small patch cables between pedals and 10-20 footers to the amp

Comment

i use george L's also.
                    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Cords... What is your setup?

I was wondering about the cord length you guys use. Most of the time I'll put my Crybaby, and either a DS-1 or SD-1 or GE-7 in front of my Mesa, with a chorus and delay in the loop. The are all connected with 18' cords. Is this too long? It seems excessive to have 36' of cord between your guitar and amp and another 36' between the send/return jacks in the effects loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                        Going between pedals I prefer as little cord as possible. Those short 6" or 1' patch cords are the best. I use 20' cords before and after the pedals.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same here....works great for me. I would love to go wireless, but no since in shelling out that kind of money to play here at home [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb:
                          but no since in shelling out
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X