Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

opinions.. Dimarzio Fred VS. Tone Zone..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions.. Dimarzio Fred VS. Tone Zone..

Hi all.. Any of you who own both the Fred & Tone Zone, I would love to hear which you like better & Why. I have them both and my opinions seem to change from day to day. Anyway, I want to put one of these in the new Les Paul Classic I just picked up and I can't decide.

Rich

Re: opinions.. Dimarzio Fred VS. Tone Zone..

Tone Zone is quite a bassy, high output p/up, good for big chunky riffs and powerchords whereas the Fred is more tubular and midrangy, better for cutting through in the mix.

For an example of the TZ listen to some new Paul Gilbert stuff, for the Fred, listen to the solo on Always with me, Always with you or the new G3 Live CD. Hope I helped.

I'm also in a bit of pickle, except I'm wanting two new DiMarzio p/ups, want that nice thick tone on the neck which doesn't muddy up and sounds great clean, and then a nice high output (not too high) p/up in the bridge which is great for bashing out riffs nice and clearly and then breaking out pinch harmonics all over the place [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

Well.. for the neck I almost always go for the Virtual PAF.. very smooth with sustain for days.

rich

Comment

I had a Tone Zone in my Sl-2 and loved it, UNTIL I started playing with a band. It was real muddy and it seemed to get lost in the mix wit the bass player.
        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Hi Rich, I love both.
          It depends on what amp and what Music you play.
          It seems that Tone Zone can sound great even with lower gain amp setting because it has a lot of bass and gain.
          Fred sounds great too.
          I had a Maple/Alder body Dinky and Fred sounded great there.
          If this is for Les Paul,I would go with Fred.
          OR I would maybe go with a set of Virtual PAFs for both Bridge and neck positions.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X