Peavey 5150 with only 4 tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 with only 4 tubes?

Start off with I am a complete tube amp novice. I bought this amp used about a year ago and have no idea how long the tubes in it have actually been in it, I have had it almost a year, it is time for replacing. So I am talking to my friend that seems to be pretty educated on tube amps and has owned a 5150 before. I turn this thing around and take out the grill to get some views of the thing and only see four 6l6 tubes. I take some pictures for my friend and he wonders where the other five tubes that his amp had have gone. Well I take out the tubes to get some better shots with my horrible digital camera and to his suprise there are no places for tubes behind the four 6l6s to even be placed in. Me not knowing anything about tube amps, I don't know if there was a period of using only 4 tubes? Is this a mod done my a former owner? Is this a custom rarity that is worth lots of money? Was this amp actually owned by EVH himself? Please help a lost child in the world of tube amps. Thank ya'lls. Here is a pic of inside the amp.

Re: Peavey 5150 with only 4 tubes?

5150- 4 power tubes, 5 pre amp tubes

take off the small rectangular back plate that sits to the left of the back of the amp. look at the speaker outputs and move left.

Comment

There they are! Thanks a lot man. Here I thought I was only going have to pay 60 dollars to replace my tubes, looks like I am back up to 103.

Comment

:lol
        what kind of tubes ya gonna get?

Comment

I will be purchasing JJs. Five 12AX7 and four 6l6. The tubes aren't white at the tips but I think they are pretty worn. I will be ordering the new ones some time this week or so.

Comment

The 12ax7's dont normally blow. Many tube guys advise that you dont really ever need to replace them. I like Chinese 12ax7's the best and replace all my amps with those from the get go though. I would try the power tubes first. On a side note: If you like the way it sounds now then why replace the preamp tubes? Money wasted. For power tubes I really liked Svet 6l6's in my 5150.

Comment

It really needs more chunk/beef/kick to it. It gets just kind of blah and no real definition. I have some recordings I recently did and it is just kind of fuzzy guitar tone and it doesn't cut through like I want it.

Comment

Working...
              X