Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Decision...HELP!

Right, I need some help.
    My birthday is coming up soon and I want a new amp, my budget is just over £300ish but I could possibly stretch to £400ish.

Ideally I want a good valve amp with a contemporary tone (think Primus crossed with Satriani's rhythm tone) but that can get some nice, shimmering (well not Fender Cleans but to that extent) cleans. EQ's for both clean and overdrive is a must and it most definatley should have an FX loop, reverb etc.

It also has to be able to sound nice when just cranked and be capable of standing up at gigs/band practices. Oh, it MUST be a combo as I have no where to put a halfstack . One last thing, it must come with a channel switching footswitch as well.

So far I have looked at these amps.

Laney LC-30: Not played one yet but from reading some HC reviews (with a pinch of salt) and reading it's press release, it sounds like a very nice amp that's perfectly capable of what I need.

Marshall DSL 401: Played on one of these, had a nice Overdrive channel but I wasn't too impressed with the lifeless clean channel, also the fact that it is prone to overheating bothers me.

Peavy Classic 30: Supposedly sounds very nice and warm and is supposedly very good. The name puts me off a bit as I'd like a more higher gain tone with out having to resort to pedals.

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40: Played on one of these as well, great distortion but didnt have time to play with the clean. Some thing about it worry me such as the fact it has no markers on the control knobs :S

Marshall AVT100: I have played one of these and thought they were ok. More reliable than valve but I thought the overdrive was a bit too processed yet the clean channel was mighty cool, also the fact that it has built in effects and a HUGE footswitch made me smile
    Any help will be much appreciated

Andy!

Re: Final Decision...HELP!

I like the Classic 30 and the AVT. A drummer we auditioned last Thursday had an AVT50 in his place. At the end of the night I plugged into it and got some nice tones quickly. I like the AVT150 half stacks I've tried out as well. I would like a tube combo also and was looking at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 30, and Carvin Nomad. Still deciding between the Peavey and the Carvin (the Fender dropped out of the running after hearing the other 2).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Bumpage

Comment

Carvin Legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by mupps:
          definatley
          it's press release,
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mupps:
            definatley
            it's press release,
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shut it fatboy, I'm only 15.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No excuse! What school are you attending? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

'ere ya go

http://dictionary.reference.com

Comment

Some school in the UK, here's the website if you want it click on the CTC link [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The peavey classic series is solid. I think one of the channels on the new Satch head was based on the classic and another on the XXX. I am a Rivera man inside and out so I would recommend you look for one of those. Carvins are also supposed to be great bang for the buck.

Comment

Ibaneze has a half stack out now that is very interesting, and affordable. I can't remember the model, but go to musician's friend. They are rep'ing it.
                      1990 Jackson Professional
                      1992 Dean ML
                      2004 Epiphone Flying V
                      2005 Epiphone Dot
                      2009 Fender Stratocaster
                      2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                      2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                      2006 Fender P Bass
                      2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                      1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                      1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                      Custom Pedalboard
                      ADA MP1
                      ADA FX2
                      Tascam 2488

Comment

I just played a pretty awesome sounding SS amp last week when I was in Europe. The Hughes & Kettner EDition Blue 30w combo

Comment

How bout the new Peavy Satriani model? Its a XXX tweaked to what Joe likes.

Comment

Can you even get a XXX with 400 pounds? I think that's only $600 American money, depending on the day.

I would suggest the AVT's. I really don't see you being able to afford a tube amp with that much money. Sorry, I don't mean to break it to ya hard, but it's the truth. The AVT does sound really pretty good, and you can gig with it, and definetely practice with a band.

Peavey solid state amps are also a very solid choice. Cannot beat the durablity. Those thing can be thrown off of a semi traveling 300 miles an hour and not get hurt!

Good luck dude, and keep rockin! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X