Anyone ever try one of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever try one of these?

I was searching around ebay today and came by this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...715354055&rd=1

I hate having to crank the shit outta my 5150 to get that tone I like.

Anyone ever try one of these?

Re: Anyone ever try one of these?

Well that would theoretically give you cranked preamp section sound, if that's what you want. Lots of tube amp players swear by the power of cranked power amp tube sound is important to why the amp sounds so good at high volumes. Just kinda depends on the person...but, sure, the idea seems sound enough. You could do basically the same with an EQ (but also have EQing controls) by dropping the overall level way down, I'd assume.

Stu

Comment

That box is horseshit. It's a passive box - it's like a volume control on a guitar, just in your fx loop. It will do NOTHING to give you a cranked tone, it just adds a volume CUT to the loop. Sure, you can crank your amp more, but when you cut the volume on the box to compensate, you're just putting it back where it was, along with the signal degradation of the passive volume box.

Don't waste your money on that thing.

Pete

Comment

Absolutely right, and to elaborate a bit,
        you want something that reduces output POST-power section,like a Hot PLate or such. If you cut the volume in your loop then the preamp can't push the power amp, so you won't get power amp distortion, or the cool tone thereof.

If a $20 box really did the trick then no one would buy the high-end power attenuators.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X