• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class A EL84 amp clip and 'live' pic

Ok, got it sorta finished. Here's a pic of the bouncing baby amp:

And here's a sound clip:

http://members.cox.net/vht50/blues.mp3

I played a USA Charvel strat with dimarzio vintage neck and middle pickups, and a duncan hot rails in the bridge. Started off with the volume on the guitar rolled off and the neck-middle pickup combo. Slowly worked the volume up, then moved to the bridge-middle combo, then cranked to the bridge only. I did NOT change any amp settings during the clip, and it's one pass, clams and all. Any timbre-tonal changes were done with hands and guitar.

Oh, the settings for the amp were cranked preamp volume, tone full up, and the master on about 2 o'clock, or just over 2/3rds cranked. Amp was pretty damned loud.

Amp still needs to be tweaked a bit, I may pull some bass out (I added a bit from a stock circuit with mods to the power supply, and it gets a lil' woofy when totally cranked). I'm pretty happy with the gain and the dynamics, however. Also needs 'good' tubes - I grabbed two EL84s out of my junk pile and a pair of chinese 12ax7s... just in case I wired something wrong and the tubes went 'poof'. No sense in starting up a new amp with telefunkens or mullards, right? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll be posting more clips once I sort the amp out a bit more.

Re: Class A EL84 amp clip and \'live\' pic

There is no sound clip....or am I ust stupid?

Comment

Fixed! Thanks man.

Pete

Comment

d00d...... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

That sounds so good......amazing....such a great bluesy tone, if I was in a band that was a little softer, like the Eagles, that's exactley what I'd go for. I send much wooness your way, it sounds so sweet!

Andy!

Comment

Thanks man! I have a boss super overdrive in the mail, and I'm going to mod it as soon as I get it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Then I'll see how this amp likes a boost pedal in front of it...

Pete

Comment

Nice....You ever going to be thinking of making custom amps in the far future? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by mupps:
              Nice....You ever going to be thinking of making custom amps in the far future? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Andy!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do already. But if someone just wants a cheaper clone of something that's currently available(build me a dual recto for $500) or the like, it ain't gonna happen. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Obv but if someone were to ask you for a certain sound but with more adjustability you could do it right....? Shame I'm only 15 but if that's possible, in the future I'd love to own one of your amps [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by mupps:
                  Obv but if someone were to ask you for a certain sound but with more adjustability you could do it right....? Shame I'm only 15 but if that's possible, in the future I'd love to own one of your amps [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Andy!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, to an extent. It just depends. If someone wanted a high wattage high-gain super-shred amp, I'd say there are PLENTY of those being made by VHT, Bogner, Diezel, etc. But if someone wanted something a little more personal - like a low wattage amp with a marshall plexi front end, then I could do that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Damn, that was a sweet sound clip, and obviously nice playing as always too. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                    But if someone wanted something a little more personal - like a low wattage amp with a marshall plexi front end, then I could do that
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I could SOOOOO go for that. Right now I have a 50W solid state Marshall combo that gets a pretty good tone, but lacks a little bit of warmth and presence. I can't even crank it past 1.5 without shaking the house. Ideally, in my current situation, I'd love to have a low-wattage tube amp that I could crank and not have it destroy my ears, and yet sound like my current Marshall sound except perhaps warmer and thicker, and have it priced around the same price (about $375 American is what I paid for my combo amp). I'll keep you in mind if I ever become tempted. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Get a Laney LC 15R then [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome! Sounds so professional. It's hard to believe that it's just an amp with one tone knob and so so tubes. Beautiful! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by metafaza:
                          Awesome! Sounds so professional. It's hard to believe that it's just an amp with one tone knob and so so tubes. Beautiful! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks man! I just put a GT7025 in the first preamp slot, a sylvania USA 12ax7 in the second, and left the EL84s as they were... it smoothed it up a lot.

Also screwed around with an open back cab and it has a really cool clean sound happening. Kinda like a fender, with a spongier midrange... so far I really like it.

Pete

Comment

Pete this is all awesome stuff!

I bought a PTP 1970 Super Bass that had caught fire from a burned out output tube. It needed a lot of work and I decided to do it myself. I found that tinkering in amps is highly addictive. The SB is mostly original so I was not able to do much modding and such.

I want to find a burned out later year JCM/JMP super lead cheap and get a PTP kit as my next project and completely retrofit it from PCB to PTP.

Eventually I'd like to be where you are building from scratch.

Good work!
                            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Wow Pete, that is impressive! Both the amp and the playing. How did you record it?

I'd love to hear a clip of it being overdriven when you get your pedal in.

Comment

Working...
                              X