Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another EL84 clip w/DS1 pedal I modded

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/lagrange.mp3

Peavey Wolfgang USA special, into a DS1 that I modded into the EL84 amp. Peavey VTM 4x12 sealed cab w/celestion 85 watt speakers. SM57 mic, to behringer ultragain pro preamp, into my PC. amp settings: preamp volume - 1 o'clock, tone full up (no cut), master at 7 o'clock. Barely on. My wife was getting pissed at me, so I did one fast clip. All the way through, clams and all. Here's the guitar settings:

intro - neck pickup, pedal off
    rhythm where vocals come in - bridge pickup, dug in more, pedal off
    solo - neck pickup, pedal on. Level full, tone at 10 o'clock, drive at 9 o'clock.
    after solo - bridge pickup, pedal off
    2nd solo - bridge pickup, pedal on

mods to pedal were some from Robert Keeley - I replaced two electrolytic caps with higher quality film, and changed the value of two caps for more bass. It made a noticeable difference. Next pedal mod is to put a socket where the IC is, so I can change opamps at will.

Oh, and here's a Jessica clip (real short):

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/jessica.mp3

Used a gibson P90 DC Les Paul, neck pickup, pedal on, same amp and pedal settings as above. Guitar was going out of tune, and needed the truss rod tweaked - ran out of time, so just did a few seconds of it.

Pete

Re: Another EL84 clip w/DS1 pedal I modded

Pretty hot. A little too bassy for my taste with those pickups. Would probably sound amazing through more trebly pickups like hot rails.

Add a varicap to your DS1 and you're golden.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff300:
      Pretty hot. A little too bassy for my taste with those pickups. Would probably sound amazing through more trebly pickups like hot rails.

Add a varicap to your DS1 and you're golden.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It actually sounded great 'live' - I didn't have time to move the mic much to get a better tone. All in all, I'm pretty pleased. What's a varicap? Like a potentiometer but with capacitance instead of resistance?

Pete

Comment

Forgot the latest pic... I cleaned up the wiring a bit. Some parts are still a little messy, some because of the way components fit, and some to keep right angles at wires that cross for low noise. There are all sorts of considerations you have to make when building an amp - sometimes to make it prettier you make it noisy. I think I found a decent compromise.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
          What's a varicap? Like a potentiometer but with capacitance instead of resistance?

Pete [/QB]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly.

When you can vary capacitance as well as resistance, you're in EQ heaven.

Comment

Sounds like a neat idea. I still have several pedal mods to try on this thing... my $39 experimental pedal. LOL

Pete

Comment

Hoooooooly smokes!!! Both clips sound awesome! I have to do some soldering myself. I've been putting it off for too long. My first project will be to mod a wah pedal though. Great job, Pete! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                Sounds like a neat idea. I still have several pedal mods to try on this thing... my $39 experimental pedal. LOL

Pete
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what a DS1 is for. Not that useful out of the box, but easy to modify.

Have you tried an OD1? (Overdrive/Distortion)? or a BD1? (Blues Driver)?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff300:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twisteramps:

Pete
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what a DS1 is for. Not that useful out of the box, but easy to modify.

Have you tried an OD1? (Overdrive/Distortion)? or a BD1? (Blues Driver)?
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, but I used to gig with a THD Univalve and a Fulltone FullDrive II, which is the pinnacle of overdrive technology as far as I'm concerned. I did have an original (80s) TS9 too.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X