Recommend an inexpensive tube preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend an inexpensive tube preamp

I was thinking of trying out a rack based setup and was wondering if anyone could give opinions on a good, inexpensive tube preamp. I wouldn't need effects because I have a G Major for that. I would also be running a Mesa 20/20 as a poweramp. Thanks!

Re: Recommend an inexpensive tube preamp

Inexpensive... hmm.. i don't know what you consider not expensive, but let's say that in the lower priced market, the ENGL E530 Modern Rock is one hell of a tube preamp. I don't know what the US price is though (me being from Europe).

I have one and it's capable of blues as well as over the top overdrive. It's got two channels and a very versatile equalizer section. Has a smart built-in transistor amp (1.5 Watt) which can easily run your typical 4x12" Marshall cab for low volume rehearsal and stuff.

I have swapped out the stock Sovtek tubes with JJ's ECC83 S to remove some shrill from the top end with success. The JJ's also worked wonders on the voicing feature in the preamp, but that's another story. Argh, please stop me! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

How about Mesa's V-Twin? Two channels, three modes, three different outputs (guitar amp, power amp, line/mixer/headphones), true bypass. I think it's pretty versatile, too. On e-Bay they can be had for under $300.

Comment

Peavey Tube Fex with PFC 10 MIDI controller. Check ebay for them. Very versatile. 4 tube modes and tons of effects built in.

Comment

What about the Peavey Rockmaster preamp? It's all tube isn't it, and can be had for ~$150.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

ADA MP-1,can be had on ebay for $100-160 and is a nice pre.

Comment

I have the Peavey Rockmaster, and Mesa V-Twin, and love both. Both are relatively inexpensive, and sound great. I really like the Peavey through a BBE 422a, but not with the Mesa.

~E

Comment

Bingo on the Rockmaster/BBE422A combination! You can get BOTH pieces for under $200 if you shop for a little while
                and the Peavey will surprise you! It's 3 channels and has 5 loops; 1 for each channel, 1 common, and 1 for the crunch and ultra channels to share.

The TubeFex has effects, which you've already got, and if you go to Harmony Central you'll read of lots of people having problems with them. They're not that cheap either.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

how about a hughes and kettner cream machine?
                  i've seen a few go for $125 or so and they sound great.

Comment

Rockton Voodu Valve, Digitech Twin Tube, Rocktron Pihranna, Kitty Hawk Quattro, Carvin Quad X-Amp--These are all $400 or less used and sound great.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Mc:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A big YES for this one. Consider it.

PS. Sorry if I sound fanatic on this one... I am.

Comment

Originally posted by data187:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1) Not a rack unit.
                        2) NO EQ.
                        3) No clean sound, still need a separate preamp for that.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I can't believe no one has suggested the Soldano SP-77 yet... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by morbid:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kev Mc:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A big YES for this one. Consider it.

PS. Sorry if I sound fanatic on this one... I am.
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep but consider looking into the MP-2 as well as it has a couple more tube voicings and only runs ~$50 more these days.
                            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by data187:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1) Not a rack unit.
                              2) NO EQ.
                              3) No clean sound, still need a separate preamp for that.
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">it is a rack unit...it is a half rack space unit. it also gets a clean sound. itis a preamp, you don't use a preamp with it. It also has a very small power amp section , but can be used with a power amp. That said, it is not very versatile and is more for studio use.

Comment

Working...
                              X