Recommend an inexpensive tube preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend an inexpensive tube preamp

your best bet is probalby the ADA for the most bang for the buck, plus you can always get a modded one from voodoo for around $200 or buy one yourself and if you need more later on, send it to them for the mod.

Comment

I was kinda headed in the MP1 direction since I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I can't find one locally to check out.

Thanks for the replies, keep them comin'!

Comment

Scuba Steve, those usually hold their value ok, so even if you bought one and ended up not liking it, you could probably sell it for what you paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell:
          wondering if anyone could give opinions on a good, inexpensive tube preamp.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How about a Triaxis?! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah... It was about 17x the amount I bugeted! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lerxstcat:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by data187:
              how about a hughes and kettner cream machine?
              i've seen a few go for $125 or so and they sound great.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1) Not a rack unit.
              2) NO EQ.
              3) No clean sound, still need a separate preamp for that.
              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">it is a rack unit...it is a half rack space unit. it also gets a clean sound. itis a preamp, you don't use a preamp with it. It also has a very small power amp section , but can be used with a power amp. That said, it is not very versatile and is more for studio use.
              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I know exactly what it is and what it does. It's half-rack, but I meant for the purpose he wants it for it's unsuitable. The clean sound is not too great with those either. No EQ sucks pretty bad for your primary tone generator of your rack, wouldn't you say? If you really wanted something like that at least the Metal Shredder has a 3-band EQ. For the same money the Rockmaster is a hell of a lot better, as is the MP-1, both being a lot more versatile as you even mentioned.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology:
                Rockton Voodu Valve, Digitech Twin Tube, Rocktron Pihranna, Kitty Hawk Quattro, Carvin Quad X-Amp--These are all $400 or less used and sound great.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For a 'cheap' preamp that sounds decent... I was suprised by the Soho QTR1. It's based on the Kitty Hawk Quattro and gets some decent sounds. 4- 12ax7's..I believe they cascade from one for the clean to all four for the gain. I found the clean to be nice, full bodied (far more than the MP-1) and the gain sounds were reminding me of a Boston edge.
                I bought mine for 50.00 which was a steal for what I got in the deal. It's non midi tho and works like a head in channel switching.

Most others are mentioned..the ADA mp-1 is a good working-man preamp as is the Rockmaster. If you're getting into the 200-300 range..the JMP-1 and the Rocktron Piranha. The Quad X is in the same price range and can be had for less than 300.00. Very versatile. Engl too, are becoming reasonable. Tube works had some decent tube preamps that can be had inexpensively.

[ April 16, 2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

I'm using an ADA MP1 with BBE 362NR into a Mesa 20/20 and am very happy with it's tone.My ADA is one of the older 1st. model units.I would love to have a tri-axis but $1,600.00 for a pre amp just sounds a little crazy to me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  I think the MP1 is a good place to start and if you don't like it you should be able to trade or sell it fairly easily.

Comment

Working...
                  X