Dimarzio X2N...any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio X2N...any good?

Dimarzio X2N: What do you guys think about this pup? I haven’t heard one. I play Metal and want as much crunch as I can get. Are these any good?

Re: Dimarzio X2N...any good?

i use them. very even sounding. great sustain. crunchy. yes. I love them.

Comment

Yep, I use one, too. It's a great pup... I've had it since the early '90s in my old Kramer, now it's in my Warrior with a Super 2 in the neck. If you want a passive pickup that will blow the EMG 81 away, the X2N is what you need! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's like asking if Chuck Schuldiner was any good! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

yeh, definitely a great pick up, really heavy and evil sounding, massive output, but not overly trebly or bassy. one of my favourite dimarzios at the moment

Comment

I have one too, i bought it without knowing how it would sound and it was worth it. One amazing sounding pickup [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Bought one for my friend. Gonna buy one for myself too if that helps any

Comment

Tim Donahue (fretless guitar whiz who has just released an album with James LaBrie) used them and he gets some cool tones.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                  If you want a passive pickup that will blow the EMG 81 away, the X2N is what you need! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do you mean? I love EMGs, but I've never tried an X2N, and I'm always open to new ideas in my life-long quest for huge, heavy tone (early VH, Zakk Wylde).

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                    If you want a passive pickup that will blow the EMG 81 away, the X2N is what you need! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do you mean? I love EMGs, but I've never tried an X2N, and I'm always open to new ideas in my life-long quest for huge, heavy tone (early VH, Zakk Wylde). </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I love EMGs, too, but the X2N has more gain and is more powerful, just blows the EMGs out of the water, IMO. You've really gotta try one to see what it's like.

Comment

i'm thinking about buying a new hum for my 85 dinky...

what do you guys think about the Invader vs the X2N?

Comment

I have both and have used both for a while. The X2n is more crunchy/tight/ even across the board as far as high/ mid /low. The Invader is very high mid range and is way over the top with distortion. I always sink the invader into the body to keep it from getting over the top... Well way over the top i should say because the pickup is over the top already. I like the X2n better because it is way more adjustable tone-wise by just lowering your guitar volume a bit... They Clean up great and sound very good with a coil tap too. I loved the invader at one point with a Rectifier until I got a SLO..... Then it sounded like crap so I sold most of them off... Way to distorted and very muddy. The pickup you choose will have to compiment your style and all that goes with the amp you choose so you probably would be better off trying one of each with your setup before buying if possible... I still have one or two Invaders laying around if you want to buy one or swap it out for a pickup I might want....

Comment

I had two Invaders in my old Kelly (I believe it was a poplar body, maybe alder). They had a lot of low mids and bass but didn't sound muddy at all. I did keep them a little lower in the body because they seemed to be overpowering and had a lot of unwanted overtones with a lot of gain on the amp.
                          The X2N is more on the treble side, but still well balanced, and it does sound great coil tapped like Chris mentioned, plus it also has a lot of gain but doesn't sound overpowering since it doesn't have as much low end. When I had it in my old Kramer, it sounded really nice (even in its crappy plywood body) but it sounded too bright in my poplar Charvel Model 5A. It sounds very nice in my Warrior which is either alder or basswood, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bringer of Chaos:
                            Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I need this pup. I love the EMGs in my RR1 and if these are even better I can’t wait to install them.

Speaking of installing, I am probably putting it in my Korina KV2. I love the light weight of my Korina, but it is way too tame sounding with the stock pups.

Can anyone recommend a good installer in the CT/ NY border area? Or do you think this is something I can tackle myself. Needless to say I am very picky about my guitar and don’t want it hacked up!
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can put them in for you. I am located in Milford, CT which is 38 miles from the Westchester County border. Just PM me bro.

Comment

did PG use X2N in the bridge of his studio guitars on "technical difficulties" and "getting heavier" ? or was he using a different dimarzio pup...

Comment

Working...
                              X