Dimarzio X2N...any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimarzio X2N...any good?

hm this is making the choise really difficult..
    i dont want a treble PU at all; but with a full sound...and a tight bass...
    the guitar i'll be putting it in is a USA 85 Dinky, i think its poplar or alder, not sure...
    the amp is a 5150combo...
    any other suggestions perhaps?

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I need this pup. I love the EMGs in my RR1 and if these are even better I can’t wait to install them.

Speaking of installing, I am probably putting it in my Korina KV2. I love the light weight of my Korina, but it is way too tame sounding with the stock pups.

Can anyone recommend a good installer in the CT/ NY border area? Or do you think this is something I can tackle myself. Needless to say I am very picky about my guitar and don’t want it hacked up!

Comment

ZENO: The invader has a high bass and mid push so this might be the right choice for you. I used to keep them real low in the body (They also have the huge hex bolts so this pickup sits high and is also heavy compared to other pickups)....
        What amp are you running? Where do you live? Can you install a pickup in yourself? I can send you an invader I guess if you promise not to kill it and send it back in a week or so.... you gotta pick up the shipping though... let me look and see what i got.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V:
          ZENO: The invader has a high bass and mid push so this might be the right choice for you. I used to keep them real low in the body (They also have the huge hex bolts so this pickup sits high and is also heavy compared to other pickups)....
          What amp are you running? Where do you live? Can you install a pickup in yourself? I can send you an invader I guess if you promise not to kill it and send it back in a week or so.... you gotta pick up the shipping though... let me look and see what i got.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">heya...i'm using it with a 5150combo..
          and i live in The Netherlands so i guess it will be too expensive to ship it...
          i know a guitarshop where they have a test guitar for PUs so i'll check it out there

thanks

Comment

mhh.....sorry, but i don't get it. why do you need such a high output pu with an amp like the 5150 which has shitloads of gain? maybe you're better off if you use a medium output pu (duncan jeff beck or simliar) because imo you get a cleaner sound if you're pu's aren't THAT highgain. i mean, the 70's/80's with their mid gain amps are over, you don't need super high output pus, overdrive stompboxes etc. any longer.

but hell, its your choice..i just want to show another point of view.

greets
            fragle

Comment

i know my amp has got enough of gain of itself, i just like the feel of a high output PU...

Comment

Cool. I was using a 5150 with invaders too. They might be just what you are looking for. I was running my gain at like almost 12'o clock and I was using a ge-7 pedal and a NS-2 in the loop. I was scooping the mids out on the GE-7. Are you using any outboard eq? You might want to try there first if not instead of a pickup swap.

Comment

well its like this...
                  i like the sound of my KE3 better, because the bridgehum has more output than the hum of my dinky, but the dinky is nicer tone wise...
                  on my 85 dinky its almost like the single coil in the neck has more output than the hum..it has a really thin sound...

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle:
                    mhh.....sorry, but i don't get it. why do you need such a high output pu with an amp like the 5150 which has shitloads of gain? maybe you're better off if you use a medium output pu (duncan jeff beck or simliar) because imo you get a cleaner sound if you're pu's aren't THAT highgain. i mean, the 70's/80's with their mid gain amps are over, you don't need super high output pus, overdrive stompboxes etc. any longer.

but hell, its your choice..i just want to show another point of view.

greets
                    fragle
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just like almost everything else, it's completely subjective. If he likes the sound of the X2N, that's all that matters. Plus, the gain of the 5150 can be adjusted to work witht the X2N.

Even though people don't need stompboxes anymore due to the amps available these days, some people still like stomp boxes. Something about the combo of a solid state pedal with a tube amp just sounds cool to them.

Comment

Do u have any more info on those persuader pups? I want to put them in my jackson but have no info on them

Comment

Every pickup of this price range isn't bad and it is always good for something.

I think EMGs, DiMarzios, Duncans and other great names aren't comparable to each other, because there will be alway at least two player of the same music style, and one of those two will praise EMG, other Duncans, etc.

Comment

the APC Persuader Lead blows them all away!!!!!!

www.adderplus.com
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Dreamland_Rebel, I wish you loved the 80s butt rock like we do.

Comment

ive got an X2N in a maple bich fixed bridge & a nechthru ST-3 w/OFR, it sounds AWESOME. in the ST its a little highendy at times but nuthing tweaky the presence on the amp doesnt fix. a superdistortion or super 2 or 3 is also a nice option, believe it or not the output of the X2N isnt that much more than the super dist. maybe a duncan LIVE WIRE?

Comment

Working...
                              X