I need some help with my 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help with my 5150

I bought a 5150 used a few months ago a problem has come to my attention. I am getting psychotic feedback from this thing. Even when my guitar's volume is off, if the post amp volume is above about 3 it starts making evil feedback. when I play it get to be unbearable because chords will feedback really quickly. I plug in thru the Low gain input, and usually set my gain at about 5-7. is this a tube issue, or something worse? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: I need some help with my 5150

Sounds like a tube issue to me. My friend had a 5150 and it had the worst feedback imaginable and he didn't want to retube it (he's really cheap so he didn't want to buy new tubes for it) so he ended up selling it to buy a new and better amp and the guy who bought it from him for cheap retubed it and it sounded great and had a lot less feedback... When's the last time you changed the tubes in it?

Comment

it has the same tubes that were in it when i bought it in February...I think that the power tubes are the original stock sovteks, but the preamp tubes aren't original-they are electro harmonix.

Comment

That is more than likely the phase inverter tube. Try to find out which of the 12ax7s is the phase inverter tube...on most amps it is the first preamp tube next to the power tubes. I have never owned a 5150, so I cannot say for sure which position is the phase inverter. Anyway, the phase inverter is often subjected to massive voltages. Boogies are notorious for this..as was my VHT Pittbull. Try swapping the preamp tubes arround...my bet is that it goes away. Hope this helps.

Comment

Try swapping the preamp tubes around with each other. Sometimes this problem will disappear if you move the offending tube elsewhere...

Mike
          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Peavey's forums are helpful, too:

http://forums.peavey.com:8080/~Amps

Keith
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

i tried moving around the preamp tubes...it took a while to find the right combination, but i finally got rid of the feedback..I think. Thanks guys!

Comment

i'll have to try this as well!! i have the same problemo althought i hardly play at 3! thats pretty loud

Comment

man, that peavey forum fucking sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It used to be better...*sigh*

And I agree man, my 5150 on 3 is pretty loud, I don't think I have ever went past 4 honestly...I had it up to 4 with my 2x12" cab and boy was that fun until the cops came [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Couldn't disagree more, but hey, to each their own, eh? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

K
                      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

how in the world could you disagree?! theres hardly any posts on there and the forum layout itself is shitty.

i want to blow up that place!!!!!!!

im just surprised that there isnt more activity, what with the 5150 being a VERY popular amp

Comment

Originally posted by KidPredator:
                          I had it up to 4 with my 2x12" cab and boy was that fun until the cops came [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That sounds like a fun story! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Oh yeah it was Ron!

It starts out with a fun filled day including a speeding ticket, I was a touch frustrated and figured I'd pick up good 'ol Warpath (my Firecrackle Predator).

So I am Jammin' a bit and I figure I'd better let the neighbors hear my version of "5150 Mean Streets on 4".

So I do my little 12th fret "tappity-doo" and everything is cool, get up to about the second chorus and lo and behold, Officer Goodcops' at the door!

No need to call 911 I tell you, just get a 5150!

Comment

Thanks for spelling lo and behold correctly! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Did you tell the cops you were playing a 5150? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(Does that code mean the same thing in NoCal as it does down here?) [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X