Which P/ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which P/ups

Hey guys, just wondering on what pickups you guys think I should get for my H/H Jackson JS30.

I'm looking for quite a versitile tone, with everything on the guitar whacked full (thru a Laney LC30) I want a good lead metal tone (lots of pinch harmonics, clear as a bell single notes and some nice dirty riffery, think Paul Gilbert crossed with Vai), with volume down a bit (think Satch's rhythm tone), a good rock tone and then with volume and tone down a bit I'd like a nice bluesy tone (think Satch's bluesier moments).....fussy i know but meh. Oh, I will coil tap each p/up as well to make matters of getting blusier tones easier

So far I have considered the following combos (neck/bridge): Evo/Evo, PAF PRO/Evo, PAF Pro/FRED (my friend has this combo, is ok but a bit boring), HFH/Tone Zone, HFH/Evo, PAF Pro/PAF Pro, PAF Pro/Tone Zone.

Any one got any other ideas/can suggest which set out of those I should get?

Andy!

Re: Which P/ups

Jackson CVR2 [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If they are the ones in my Jackson at the moment, I think they suck....I can't get a nice tone from them and I ust don't think they sound great for lead....meh, whatever...

Andy!

Comment

If the tone sucks, why did you buy this model? And why do you think it must be the pickups?

Try EQ adjustments, a different effects unit, etc.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Well the guitar plays brilliantly compared to EVERYTHING else they had in my local shop. I thought that if I get a new amp (the LC30 will be here in May) then the tone would improve...I was wrong. After playing it through a few tube heads it still sounded kinda mediocre, I just thought new pickups would make it sound a lot nicer while retaining the playability [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, don't most of you guys swap p/ups around in your guitars?

Comment

DiMarzio Super Distortion for the bridge! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] The Tone Zone is a cool pup, but I think it's a little dark sounding. The Super D in my Jackson JJP has got to be my favorite sounding pickup ever; nice and chunky with good balance all around!! As for the neck, I'd probably go with a HFH or PAF Pro. I've actually got a PAF Pro laying around that I haven't put in anything yet. I also really want to try a HFH, as I like brighter neck pups. I'm debating on what to put in my Les Paul, as I'm looking for something a little heavier sounding than the stock pups, I think I might go HFH with a Super Distortion.
            Also, the Super 2 is one of the nicest sounding pups I've ever tried in the neck of my Warrior with an X2N in the bridge. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

im getting rid of my super distortion. just cant seem to get a good sound out of it through my 5150. im swapping it for a JB

Comment

I didn't care for the JB all that much. I had it in my Hamer... I thought it had a nice treble and high mid sound, but it seemd to be lacking a little in the low end.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

APC pickups
                  persuader lead or felony X
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i'd go for the double PAF Pro combo. i use it and it's very versatile. sounds great clean and with distortion. you get a very vocal sound because of the mid frequencies when you play single notes. not the hottest pickups around, but they served Vai very well until the Evolution.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

If they are the ones in my Jackson at the moment, I think they suck....I can't get a nice tone from them and I ust don't think they sound great for lead....meh, whatever...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's becuase they came in a JS series. The JS's aren't that good, but hey, you may be able to get it rolling.

As for pickups, it's really a shame that you can't just shove them in your guitar and try them out at a local guitar shop like you can with amplifiers and guitars. It's probably the most expensive trial and error, that and tubes. I love my Toni Iommi pickup, it really kills. I don't think it has a very mean low end to it though. It's Gibson's most high output pickup, and it does really great on leads. It picks up the pinch harmonics very cleanly. It's also a pretty tight rythym pickup. It's still not quite what I'm looking at. I think the next pickup will be an EMG.

The Iommi pickup was really expensive. I got the black one which was like $200. The chrome one is a little cheaper though. I would recomend Dimarzio. I've never used them, but I've had about three million people tell me that they kick ass.

Comment

Just remember that Seymour Duncan has a 21 day exchange policy. If you don't like the pickups you put in, exchange them for a different set until you get it right. If you do it too much, it may annoy the salesmen at the store, but fuck them. It is your tone. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X