Who can Juice my Wah-Wah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can Juice my Wah-Wah?

Anybody know someone that can do mods on wah-wahs? Preferably my Dunlop GCB-95. I run it thru my 5150 head and it gets an OK tone (Nothing Special) and I was wondering if some mods to the wah will get the tone im after (Thick-ass AiC Jerry Cantreal Wah tone [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). I was able to score this pretty cheap thru ebay ($13.50 free shipping [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) with the intentions of really making this thing sound like a monster. Shit started to hit the fan about 2 1/2 months ago with work but I've been able to save some spare cash to finish what I started. Can anyone recommend a dealer/guitar tech/wah-god with good prices that can mod my Dunlop GCB-95...

Re: Who can Juice my Wah-Wah?

JerryP on this very board mods wahs as well as amps and other pedals, his stuff sounds pretty good, and I'm thinking about having him mod my broken Crybaby. By the way Jerry uses a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix wah.

Comment

spend the money on a good wah [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

get an RMC

Comment

I can mod it. I have several different things I can do. There's some clips on my page. Shoot me an email [email protected] if I can help. Thanks for the kind words Boxcar!
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I've just bought a Jimi Hendrix wah by Dunlop. I'm thinking about moding it. I found a page where they suggest some simple mods, it's basicaly changing resistors and capacitors with different values.
          Jerry, can you share some of your secrets?

Comment

I did a few mods to my Crybaby (also a GCB-95). A couple of resistors and a cap later it sounded much better. The transition was too harsh and they smoothed that out quite a bit. I also changed the position of the pot so it doesn't sweep as low.

It's mega-simple shit. Remove one part, replace it with another. I haven't tried anything like true bypass, or sweepable tone circuits but I hear those are fairly easy as well.

Comment

You have mail Jerry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hell yah! Ruxpin I actually have the EXACT same problem, except my wah is an original Thomas Organ wah [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It just doesn't boost enough IMHO to growl with my 5150 in "destruction mode" (a.k.a. ON).

Jerry I have seen your page and the Wah mods you do are cool man, they definitely sound sweet!

I should be sending you mine soon Jerry!!! (e-mail sending)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                  I did a few mods to my Crybaby (also a GCB-95). A couple of resistors and a cap later it sounded much better. The transition was too harsh and they smoothed that out quite a bit. I also changed the position of the pot so it doesn't sweep as low.

It's mega-simple shit. Remove one part, replace it with another. I haven't tried anything like true bypass, or sweepable tone circuits but I hear those are fairly easy as well.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've already changed pot's position. I definetly want to do true bypass mod. You can hear the difference in sound when the wah is in the signal chain but turned off. I wonder why they don't do it at the factory. It's basicaly just a different switch.

Comment

Ive always thought Jerry Cantrel has had an awesome wah tone. So how much of his sound is actually wah pedal? I mean does the amp and his playing style have a bigger influence on his tone? or is it the wah pedal? Just curious of what you guys think. I would like to be able to get a tone like that too, but I havent. I got a Dunlop 535Q wah pedal. Its got lots of versatility, but it doesnt seem to get what I want. Maybe I have my amp set wrong to grab good wah tones. Ive never been a master of the wah wah, especially tone wise. I struggle with it. SO anybody got any good recommendations to get that Jerry Cantrel sound?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Boy Tonemonster, you've stumbled into my realm. I found a jpg somewhere that had settings to approximate Jerry's settings on the 535 wah. But he's been using a Jimi Hendrix wah since the tour for Dirt, so that is probably the sound you're thinking of. A lot of his awesome tone is in his hands, amps and guitars though!!

Comment

this can help tech of wah pedals

Comment

Ok Tonemonster I found the image on Google, but I can't save it or post a link. Hope this makes sense:

Wah range set to the 4th dot
                          Variable Q set at 12 oclock
                          Boost Control set between 2 and 3 oclock

Here's a link to my search...it's at the bottom
                          Link

Comment

Cool Boxcar! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I will give that a try. I do agree that alot of Jerry's tone probably comes from his other gear and his technique. So I have to take that into consideration too. But I appreciate your advice!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I will try it. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Well, how's it sound?

Comment

Working...
                              X