Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall TSL100

Need some input.

I have a Marshall TSL100 and I wanted to find out if it is possible to add more gain/sustain to my head by using different tubes. I'm currently using the stock tubes. If so, what tubes can someone recommend. I do like the sound of my Marshall but there are times that I feel it's just lacking. I know I can have VooDoo perform some mods but that's not an option for me.

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: Marshall TSL100

Hey Joe,
    if you want to sell that head, let me know. I want to send one of those to Trace for some secret sauce modifications.

On to your question: if you switch out to 6L6's your tone will get darker with less mids. I am not sure what would happen if you went with EL84's or if you can even do that with the head.

I dont think you get get more gain per se with different tubes, just a different tone. That is unless you want to send it to Trace and have the "Witchdoctor" circuit in it.

Comment

I'd recommend some Svetlana power tubes (which it should have stock now) and EH 12ax7's. That is a great tone right there.

However, how much more gain do you need? The lead channel has gobs of gain and sustain, too much even, I don't use my Lead channel with the gain all the way up, it's got plenty for all occasions I think.

Comment

What I do for mine is put a overdrive pedal in front of it. I started with an Ibanez tube screamer and that worked out pretty good. Then I upgraded to the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate overdrive. Now I have a usable pallet of 8 sounds.

I feel the key to getting those super charged sounds is keeping the tone knobs on those pedals pretty low so that the highend doesn't rip your head off when your amp is on the overdrive channels. Also keep in mind that when you run these on the overdrive channels the drive knob on the pedal should be set pretty low as well or it'll be pretty crummy sounding...

I have the same problem with inconsistancies of the amp as well. But I think most of that has to do with the size of the room and where the amp is pointed. When you're playing clubs a lot of the time the amp is pointed at Uranus [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and it sucks 'cause you can't really hear your true tone.I try to pump a little through my vocal monitor and that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X