squeeling amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: squeeling amps

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I really suck at typing and I spell worse than I type. My Dad is an English teacher [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I don't get it.
    Anyway The Amp sym is always on my GT3 it just has combo/stack/ power amp etc. and I also checked that. The problem is that it only happens with the overdrive or distortion turned on so it is caused by or exacerbated by having the OD on?? There have been no changes to any of the patches. Which of the two is what I need to get to the bottom of. Is it the GT3 or is it something in the amps that is being magnified with the extra drive from the stomp box?
    I’m going to take my gear to the dreaded Guitar Center and try a new GT3 and a different Marshall with mine to see if I can nail down the issue.

Comment

You're using the GT3's overdrive only with the clean channel of your amps, right? 2 distortions chained together will definitely do what you're describing.

Again, to directly ask: when you plug the guitar directly into the amp, WITHOUT the GT3 even plugged in - just you, the guitar, one cable and youir amp - does the squealing still happen? I think you may need to try that and narrow it down before Guitar Center sells you a new amp and multieffects board you may not need.
      The fact that both amps are doing this at once would make me think it's your GT3 since you say you tried 4 guitars with it. I doubt 2 amps would both have the same malfunction at exactly the same time. You may want to try something as simple as cleaning the jacks on the GT3.
      Again, GC will be more interested in selling you something than solving your problem, and most GCs outsource and mark up repair work, so if you need a tech I'd try to find out who they use and cut out the middleman.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Whats up,
        I would do as Lerxstcat suggest and just plug straight in, guitar = cable = amp. If you still have this squeal then it may be something called "Microphonic noise" Which can be anything from one if the wound wires within the pickup or something as stupid as corrosion/dirt bridging across two pieces of hardware and vibrating causing a sound and eventually causing a squeal.
        What I did to remedy (before spending money on p/u's for unnescessarily) this in one of my guitars was first to clean everything. I removed the strings cleaned the headstock, bridge, tailpiece, fretboard, check your wire connectins (where possible) etc. I even used very very carefully the high-pressure air-in-the can for computers, and blew away any mirco dust that I couldnt get at, even around the pick-ups. Use air as directed. Do Not tilt or skake can so the air doesnt come out like freon. It did a few times with me but every thing was ok.
        Then I re-assemble everything and to my surprise, and pleasure, No more squealing. I must have cleaned or dislodged something that was causing this. Good Luck.

Comment

Oh yeah, There's no way Guitar Center is going to be selling any amps to me, If it where the Marshalls I'd just replace the tubes. I get them from a guy in Oregon.I use the clean channel on the amps on only the overdrive on the GT3. I've now taken it apart and cleaned everything I could, put it back together and gained nothing [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] The reason I want to go the GC is so I can plug a new GT3 in and see if it does the same thing. I'll just get a GT6 if it's the board and fix/sell the GT3.

Comment

OK I'm now convinced that it's a ground loop problem in the GT3. I'm going to run over it now [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
            By the way Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X