Interesting problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting problem....

I currently have a GT6 and a Marshall TSL122.

This amp is too loud for my uni bedroom. So I had the clever idea to buy a poweramp for the Marshall and unplug the poweramp section and plug the jack straight into the poweramp, using it as a 2x12 cab. The poweramp in question is a Rocktron Velocity 100 poweramp.

So now I have GT6 directly into Velocity 100 into 2x12 cab. Now on clean it sounds fantastic, however any sort of distortion running through it turns into mud no matter how much tweaking I do. I can get great volume still but the tone sucks.

Any idea why this would be happening or what I can do to rectify it. Is it simply telling me that the TSL122 will sound poo without a marshall pre/power strapped onto the back of the speakers?

Thanks.

Re: Interesting problem....

All these members and no ideas? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

If you're just using it in your bedroom, I wouldn't even bother with a power amp. Just use the GT6 straight into the Marshall's input on the clean channel and keep the amp set at a low volume. Use the GT6 for adding or decreasing the overall volume when necessary.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What about a Dr Z airbrake? I've never tried one but it advertises it will do what you're asking for. They run new about 250.

For that price, how about a used combo amp for the bedroom? An old tube Peavey or Line6 Spider 112 should be around 200. I'm guessing your Marshall is your live rig. Save it for live gigs.

Comment

Thing is it was going straight into my GT6 and it was DANGEROUSLY loud to get any sound out of it thats why I went with this other idea.

Is that powerbrake idea any good? Or is it a bit dangerous...

Comment

How can it be too loud? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] What do you have the amp's volume control on? Did you adjust the volume level on the GT6 itself, too? Are you using the GT6 in the effects loop? If so, adjust the effects loop level control. Though, the GT6 should be going straight into the amp for the best results.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Plug the guitar into the GT6 and then plug the GT6 into the effects loop return of the Marshall. Did you try that yet?
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

It might be that you just really don't like the sound of the GT6. It might be that you're not tweaking the GT6 amp and effects parameters correctly to get the sound you want.

Going with the GT6 into that power amp should give you a good, clear reproduction of what the GT6 is putting out sound-wise, because that power amp, from my memory, is fairly transparent. Of course, your speakers are going to change that sound somewhat, but so would any speakers except full-range PA types. The other issue could be, if the GT6's amp sims are already simulating speaker output sound (speaker sim) and then you are going out to real speakers, this might throw everything off.

If the GT6 has a headphone output on it, try hooking up headphones and see if you can dial in sounds that you really like, hearing through the headphones. That would at least give you an idea if you even LIKE the GT6 enough by itself to warrant using it as your actual preamp. If you are able to dial in great sounds through headphones, it's possible that you might get some decent to great sounds with the power amp and speakers. But if it doesn't even sound good through headphones, chances are it's not going to sound good any other way. Just hoping it does have a headphone jack on it and you have some headphones around hehehe...

Stu

Comment

I think that the speakers in the Marshall are too low of a wattage. Using a higher watt speaker will clean up the muddiness you're experiencing. I have a TSL100 head and had the same problem when I was using 25 watt speakers, I changed to the 75 watt speakers and now it sounds great. You just have too much gain for those speakers.

Comment

Those speakers are a Vintage 30 and a heritage 75. They are fine. If you run the output of the GT6 into the effects loop return on the MArshall. it will be really loud as you are going straight into the power amp with an open signal path. No controls on the amp will work not even the master volume. The best thing to do is to run the GT6 into the input on the front of the MArhsall and use the clean channel. Eq set to sound right. Ditch the Velocity there may be an issue with the Velocity's circut shorting with high gain (more voltage into it) creating extra distortion thus making it muddy.
                    Techniquely it should work with the GT6 into the Velocity input, and Velocity into the speakers. Unless the power amp is bad. Try [plugging the guitar straight into the Velocity then to the speakers to see if it still muds out. If so there's your problem. Try it both clean and with a distortion pedal ( if you dont have one try borrowing one from a freind.)
                    Gil

Comment

Speaker attenuator. Get one. That is what they are designed for...to bring down the volume of a tube amp while keeping the tone. I use one on each of my tube amps.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK:
                        Ditch the Velocity there may be an issue with the Velocity's circut shorting with high gain (more voltage into it) creating extra distortion thus making it muddy.
                        Techniquely it should work with the GT6 into the Velocity input, and Velocity into the speakers. Unless the power amp is bad. Try [plugging the guitar straight into the Velocity then to the speakers to see if it still muds out. If so there's your problem. Try it both clean and with a distortion pedal ( if you dont have one try borrowing one from a freind.)
                        Gil
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope,the power amp is fine,I sold it to Jeremy,never had this kind of problems,I never used it with a GT6 though.

Comment

Working...
                        X