ENGL heads compared?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL heads compared?

I am getting a new tube amp, and want to get one from the ENGL line of products. I have only tried the Blackmore sig, so I want to hear some opinions from people who have tried the Fireball, Powerball and Savage as well.
    (Derek being the only one I know of)

My music of choice is metal and rock, I like having an option to get an old-school rock/blues tone as well as going all out "gainiac" for busting out those metallica, megadeth, pantera, testament, sepultura, machinehead, etc. etc. riffs.....

Now, I had actually put off the thought of getting another 100 Watter, because my old JCM 900 SL-X head had to be cranked to about 4 on the master volume to get the power section properly warmed for that good tone we all want....(which was way too loud of course)

So I am asking this, are the ENGL 100W (and Savage 120W) power sections just as demanding, or do they sound just as good on 2 as they do on 4?
    My new philosophy was to get a 50W head and then I could push the power a bit harder to get the really good tube sound, and not have to deal with the over-the-top loudness. So the only ENGL alternative in that case would be the Fireball.
    I have also heard you get more headroom/dynamics with 100Watters, so I am having some second doubts about this idea!

Also, how does the clean channel compare on these amps? I was very impressed by the Blackmore clean channel, is it equally good on the others or is it just courtesy of the RB sig's 5881 power tubes?

Finally, which of the ENGL cabinets provide the better metal sound? I tried the Blackmore sig with a vintage cabinet and it sounded pretty good, but a lot of people around here say they don't like the V30's for metal...so does this mean the standard cabinet with V60's is better suited for those mid-scooped, tight, defined chugga-chugga tones? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (the price for it is also 40% that of the vintage cabinet...)

I was going to get a G-Flex 212 cab but it's proving difficult with no distributor over here in Europe (the one listed on GB's site doesn't carry the line any longer)

Re: ENGL heads compared?

aww, come on damnit! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] post too long? didn't wanna read all that crap?? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I went the 50 km trip to the nearest city where they have the blackmore+vintage cab, and incidentally the guy working there is a metalhead, he said his bandmate owns a powerball so he offered to bring it into the shop so I could A/B the powerball vs. blackmore....really cool guy! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

so I'll see what comes of that test...but meanwhile, feel free to share your experiences/opinions!

Comment

I haven't tried any Engl's but I've read a lot about them. The Powerball seems to be the gain king. The Savage's seem to be the most versatile but maybe not quite as gain-y as the Powerball. The Fireball is the least versatile in terms of controls. 2 channels that share the same controls. I almost ordered a Powerball but decided against it when I heard the Framus Cobra. I wasn't able to try a Powerball and with return shipping and all that...seemed like too big of a hassle to me.

Comment

I've got a Powerball. I'll give ya an in depth review later but you need to check it out man.

Comment

I have a Savage 120. I'm a gain FREAK, but that head has more than I need... and the clean channel is very good.... Plenty loud as well, with a TON of headroom.
          I run mine through 2 G-Flex 2x12's ... tons of chunky bottom, though I find those voice coils are a bit harsh in the high end... good luck - don't think you could go wrong either way.
          I myself am looking for an ENGL cab

Comment

I've been wanting to try one of those out forever. Can ya compare a Savage 120 to a Powerball? I've heard the Savage is more focused on a good distortion rather than getting a wide array of tones like the Powerball.

Comment

Haven't played a Powerball... sorry. The Savage can get a ton of different tones - all switchable - deep switch, boost, etc....

Comment

I have a POWERBALL and a SAVAGE 120...

Both are killer I prefer the POWERBALL though.

I must say I am an old school thrash player, and the third channel of the SAVAGE 120 just can;t cut it for full throttle metal!

The fourth channel though is insane! but the POWERBALL already has all the gain you'll ever need on channel 3!

The SAVAGE has some advantages over the PB though e.g. independent gain controls for all 4 channels, 2 EFX loops (if you need em!) and two presnece controls more expanded midi compatibility.

The POWERBALL however has a Depth Punch control for the power tubes (and one presence control), mid open - focussed EQ knobs on the two hitgh gain channels which is a very cool feature from raw open rhythm tone to liquid lead! and has a built in noise gate (the amp is very quiet itself but the noise gate top it off!) with adjustable threshold and you can also switch it off if you like!

You can't really go wrong with any ENGL they are awesome, I preferred em to any Diezel or Bogner I have ever played....I thought the VHT UL was also very cool though sounds a lot like the SAVAGE 120 only less saturated!

Cheerz!

Comment

How loud does the P.B have to be to sound real nice and thick. Does it only start to sound heavy at loud levels or can it still sound great at lower levels?
                  [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

The POWERBALL sounds better at low volumes than the SAVAGE 120 which benefits from a little more mastervolume!

I use the POWERBALL at home (appartment building) so I can only use it at whisper volume and I can still bet thick high gain tone from it and when you turn it louder it only gets better!

Here's a POWERBALL clip I made just some basic riffing at very low volume in my livingroom!

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Vi...hp?eltid=16540

Comment

I own a Powerball and got to tell you that after owning my share of High Gain heads and combos the PB is it for all out gain excursions.
                      Very articulate for an amp of that measure, but I get very good tones a low volume while practicing at night.
                      Clean channel is very good.

I recently added an Airbrake to the rig and it just rips.

Joe
                      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I've had my Fireball for about 9 or 10 months now and it blows me away. I play strictly metal so this amps for me. I'm using it with all Mesa recto 4x12's loaded with V30's and I've gotten many compliments on my sound...I don't need multiple channels with independant controls so the Fireball works well for me.
                        Killer amp for sure...on par with an Uber...but alot more reasonable $$-wise.

- Joel
                        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                        RIP Dime

Comment

I own a Powerball also. For metal it is tough to beat. I sold a Bogner Ecstacy Classic ( great amp) to get it and have not regretted the move.

Comment

Working...
                          X