An amp for the Jackson DK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An amp for the Jackson DK2?

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to playing the guitar. So far I have ONLY did my research in finding a good guitar for me, and seems like Jackson DK2 has ended my search. So I was wondering, what is CHEAPEST amp that I could buy to do justice to the capabilities of the DK2. Maybe even after replacing some decent pickups. I wanna play metal. Mainly progressive and heavy metal. I bearly have money to buy the DK2 but am working on saving up for it, so I would need some amp which I could use for paying as little as possible. To be honest, maybe one for $100 to $150. I will want to practice on it, but also would want some decent output when I need it.

Once again, I don't know anything about amps, like what types and stuff. All I know is that some of them come with distortion effects built in, which is what I wouldn't mind using. I'm also not familiar with effects processors or the distortion pedals, so I don't know how they contribute to the equation. Sorry for such ignorance, but I'm trying to learn. The reason for this post is to let me know, how much I have to save. Thanks in advance!

Re: An amp for the Jackson DK2?

Peavey Trans Tube 112
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Behringer V-Ampire
      This amp sells new for $299, but it also includes effects, so you won't have to budget any $ for those.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. Isn't there anything that would serve my purpose under or around $150? Thanks again!

Comment

crate or marshall mg series.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

maybe a v-amp + headphones for practicing @ home ?

Comment

Thanks for your reply guys. The MG amps are gonna meet my requirements, are they, I don't think they come with effects.

Also about the V-Amp, as I said I don't know jack about amp/effects but have heard a lot about the V-Amp, you are talking about the Behringer right? If so, could you tell me exactly what it is and how it works? Thanks so much!

Comment

I use a V-amp all the time my amp is a little to loud and my neighbors do not appreciate it.The V-amp is small box with a bunch of different amp models in it and no speaker.You can get anything from nice and clean to high gain.Basically you would plug you guitar into and with headphones you are good to go.It could also be used with a power amp , tube or soild state and speaker cabinet.Take a look on ebay I bought mine for $120.00 new.
                Mike
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

You can also pick up older POD 1 and 2s for around $150 or less. They sound just as good as the newer ones, just without some of the new bells and whistles.

Since you're just starting out, you don't need an actual amp (speaker, cabinet, all that) - you just need something you can hear like a POD or V-Amp. Save your money for about a year when you can actually play a few songs and then get an amp like the Peavey Transtube Bandit 112, or a 212 cabinet and a power amp (tube or not).

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I just got a Tech 21 Trademark 10. It is by far the best amp I have ever had. And, it has everything you will ever need, excluding effects. It has the Sansamp built in, which is like at least a $150 value. And, you can also add the 40 watt extension cab later on if you need to...or even a 4x12 cab!
                    Steve at stevesmusiccenter.com will hook you up.

Brian

Comment

get a V-amp. its got tons of amp models, both clean and dirty and everything in between, different cabinet simulations, a barrell of effects and controls.

great deal at 120 new.

Comment

Or a Johnson J-Station. No longer made, but around $100 on ebay. You'd have to use headphones, though. Maybe not such a bad idea, if starting out. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Similar in function to the V-Amp and the Pods that people have mentioned: digital amplifier and cabinet simulation and effects built in. You can read about it at http://www.johnson-amp.com/jstation.htm.

All these devices are sort of like having a dozen or so different amps, without having to have a dozen or so different amps. They pretend to be other amps. Some do a better job than others. For practicing around the house, it would be hard to go wrong with one of these: they are small, fairly inexpensive, light weight, cheap to take care of (no tubes), and sound pretty dang good.

You can read about the V-amp at http://www.behringer.com.

Harmony Central has a TON of gear reviews, too, that are supposed to be owner / user written. Interesting reading, maybe take it with a grain of salt.

Probably the fastest way to pick up a lot of info (good and bad) is to grab a couple of mags, like Guitar World and Guitar Player, and read them cover to cover a few dozen times. Ads and all. At least, that is how I got started, twenty (mmrhum hum!) something years ago...

Ok, those are my two cents worth. Welcome: you'll never be the same. Sort of like a disease that you can't get rid of. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith

ps Are Guitar World and Guitar Player still in print? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Seriously, though, from about 1989 until sometime a little over a year ago, I didn't touch a GW: didn't even LOOK at a cover. Then I picked one up in maybe January 2003, and 90% was EXACTLY the same: a whole thing on Eddie, and his gear. Oh, and some awards for a couple of guys that (at that point) I hadn't heard of: Zakk and Dimebag. Seriously. Had never heard of them.

I don't know how I stayed away so long.
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Roland Cube 30

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.... really helpful. Seems like a V-Amp is recommended by highly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it either. The only thing that scares me though is that, what if I wanna play a song, for the outside world [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , meaning so people could hear it, and maybe I can hear it too and see how it sounds outside. I saw a friend of mine using a V-Amp through his computer, with some software running inside. Any idea what he was doing? Finally V-Amp is also used for effects too right? I heard there is a bit of wah-wah there too, is that true? Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                            X