Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 Lovers Thread

Originally posted by hammer:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> PallarAndersVisa : you wont catch me using an amp in a live situation where you can DOWNLOAD different sounds from the internet

might as well be playing through a computer

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heaven forbid that you can change the sound of your amp !!! Good thing those tubes are welded in so they can be changed, the knobs are glued in place and chassis is locked shut so no mods can be done to it, oh yea, throw away the channel switch too. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A 5150's tubes are not welded into place, the knobs are not glued on, nor is the chassis locked shut. (This isn't a Line6 Jap product [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Originally posted by hammer:
    I would much rather carry around a 5150 for dirty, Fender for clean, and a nice old boogie for crunch. What dumb ass would buy a Vetta... I'm sure the drunks at bars I play would be up in arms if I showed up with a fancy computer amp.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They probably would [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Did you bring your Key-tar with that computer???

It has been said time and time again that none comes close to the sonic destruction, and bang for the buck that the 5150 offers [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ May 02, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: KidPredator ]

Comment

Anyone know where to find info on doing a bias mod on a 5150?
      [email protected]

Comment

If you do a search at the Harmony Central Amp forum you'll find some info. I can't see the entire bias mod in that pic, but it doesn't appear to be done properly. If there's no resistor in one of those wires going to that pot it's not very safe.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Jerry, I taped up a 5K resistor in there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Didn't want any wires exposed...

What else did I do wrong boss?

[ May 02, 2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: KidPredator ]

Comment

Hey Jerry I pulled off the tape and took a better pic for you. Does it meet your approval?

10K linear taper pot, 5K 1/2 watt resistor, Charvel knob [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Donnie, I have a great file that could help you out, PM me.

Comment

That's fine that way. I didn't see the resistor and was worried someone just threw a pot in there. You need to have a resistor for safety, so you're all set.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Thanks Jerry!@!@! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Kid, you've got a PM!

Comment

Here's a PDF on how to do the bias mod that someone posted over at Harmony Central 5150 bias mod PDF
                    Jerry
                    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

How do you measure the mA voltage (across what components) to make sure it's biased at 38-40 mA?

Comment

Get a bias probe and do it right!

Comment

Double your pleasure!

Double your fun!

PaddoK might remember half of this setup [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But he wouldn't recognize it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Installed the bias mod on my 5150 and let me tell ya, this amp is overflowing with warm tone in the clean channel now. The lead channel is alot tighter and more defined. Replaced the stock tubes with JJ 6L6s. Anyone who has felt hesitant to perform this mod on their 5150 should reconcider it quickly, Peavey should have installed an adjustable bias pot from the factory and realized this amplifiers full potential. After playing out last night the guitar players from the other 2 bands were curious as to what amplifier I was using and was shocked to find out I was using a 5150. Best amp for the buck!!!!!!!

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 5150, but I've been there and done that. My Vetta for me is a better amp, but if you need a cheap amp with a great overdrive channel, the 5150 is hard to beat. I need more than that, however.

Pete

Comment

How much do you think it would cost to have the bias mod done? I dont think i could do it myself...with my luck, I'd fry my ass!

Comment

Working...
                                X