Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead 50

The low end on this one is not loose at all.

Re: Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead 50

I had three.. I'm down to two, a 50 and a non cascading 100 which is a Jose gain mod. The 50 I have is very clean on channel one and with a pedal and eq, it'll get a very good british gain. I think these are a nice budget amp, Vin Moore used modded 50's for years in the 80's. I use an SE100 as well.

Comment

Hey, Big Daddy -- pleasure was all mine bro. I'm glad the head is everything you hoped it would be. I'm especially stoked it's going to good use finally, instead of just sitting around my house.

Next time I'm in New York (and not attending some lame-o conference like I am now -- thank god I found a computer to go online with for a couple minutes) we'll hook up for some more guitar chat and a coupla adult beverages. Maybe you can teach me to actually play guitar!

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Talking about adult beverages, I went to my friends engagement party tonight and then out to see another friends band. There was an open bar at the engagement party....needless to say I had plenty of Stoli O straight up. I must of had 7 of them before I left. That vodka is so smooth. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Charvelguy,

I love the SE100. I think that is a must have piece of gear for anyone with a tube amp.

Comment

Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead 50

I just want to say, that I bought one of these from Crankdaddy yesterday. I had never played through one, but figured I had to give it a shot. This head is simply fantastic...at least the way I have it set up.

It is all tube and essentially has two channels to choose from, but no real switching option. It is sort of one channel with a switchable boost. There is no reverb. I can get a ton of different tones out of this. I read reviews on HC where everyone raved about the distorted tones, but many said that the clean was nonexistant. Wrong. The clean on this head is also very good, if you take the time to dial it in. I don't know, maybe it is the way I have it set up.

My head has an old Intellifex in the loop for some delay and reverb (mostly just delay) and then runs into a Marshall SE100 before hitting the Vintage 30 that is in the 1x12 that I have. The SE100 is bringing down the volume 12db at the moment, although it can also go as high as 18db or as low as 6db. This allows the amp to breathe more, and might be the reason I am getting better tones than others describe. I paid $275 for this all tube head. I highly recommend it to anyone on a budget that needs a versatile rig. If you throw an a od/dist pedal you can pretty much get around the one channel deal. I am waiting for my Tri OD to get back from Tech 21, and I can guarantee that it will essentialy turn this amp into a 4 channel monster. I would like to point out that the Laney has a ton of gain, and I would only recommend a pedal like the tri-od if you needed the ability to have more "channels." In other words, I would set a nice clean on the head as channel one and then you the three channels on the Tri-od for more variety. I don't need that myself. As far as the gain is concerned, I actually have to turn it down a bit for my tastes, but it defintitely can satisfy you gain heads.

It is possible to build a high quality all tube rig for very little scratch. Let's see $275 for the head, $75 for intellifex, $50 for a pedal, $300 for a cab (although that is just an average price.) This is an excellent beginner or pro rig for anyone that wants good tone.

I also wanted to mention that it was a pleasure meeting Tom (Crankdaddy.) He is a very cool guy. Thanks again bro.

Comment

Does that one have push/pull knobs? Criss Oliva used those for a time!

Comment

Yes, it has a pull boost on the bass, treble and mid, as well as a pull for what is essentially an additional cascading gain stage.

Comment

I use 2, and I love them. But the low end is a kind of loose. that would be my only complaint.

Comment

I agree. I was lucky to get mine before they really shot up in price, 150.00 in '98-99. I figured someday, this is gonna come in handy or be a collectors item collecting dust. It is a boat anchor tho.

Comment

It is pretty big, but it has so many uses...it isn't just a power attenuator. I will probably pick up a few more as I need them.

Comment

yeah, the cab emulation is unique feature, it's one of the reasons why I bought it over a power brake. It is a useful tool to record head to board signal or if you want to just play with headphones on a Marshall head. Basically it's a glorified load buffer much like EVH used with some cool features.

Comment

Working...
                      X