EMG 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 85

Okay I have noticed a lot of you talking about how much you love the EMG 85 in the bridge position. Has anyone tried an 85 in the brige of a LP Custom? I have the EMG 81/85 combo in my LP and was thinking about putting the 85 in the bridge instead of the 81. Give me some feedback.

Re: EMG 85

I have 85b/60n combo and it rocks. The best way is to try it. For more opinions try this thread:
    http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...=001399#000000

Comment

Yeah, since you've already got the EMGs in the guitar, just swap them around and you tell us! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, My Les Paul came stock with an EMG 85 in the bridge and it is amazing. Literally Tone for Days. You will love it, and become very frustrated that every guitar you own doesn't sound that good..take it I know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

rich

Comment

I was an 81 in the bridge guy for a long time. Then I tried a 85 in the bridge and I'm sold !! All the good from 81 with a little less high end bite and a little fatter. Sounds way better than the 81 when I back off the gain. IMHO.

Comment

yep, 85 in the bridge, much more rounded sound than the 81, the 81 sounded too thin in the bridge for me. Jack.

Comment

I've recently got a set of 25th anniversary dual 81's and installed them on my DKMG. Looks good so far, but maybe have to eq them a bit more to get a fatter tone. For the bridge position as far as i'm concerned...

Comment

I have a 85 at the bridge on my Greco Les Paul Custom and Oh man does it kick ass. I'll be getting a 81 at the bridge soon also.

It sounds so incredible and beefy. great for metal and just about anything. Palm muting has that umph that i like. I highly recomend the 85. and pitch harmonics sound nice with it also.

I think i'm just going to stick with EMG's.

they are incredible.

Comment

I'm actually looking for two 85s at the moment, since I've decided on going with EMGs for my Les Paul! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm thinking of swapping out one of the chrome 25th anniversary 81s from the bridge of my Hamer and putting in a black 85. I think I'll use the other chrome 81 in the neck of my Les Paul, then another black 85 in the bridge. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Try a 60 in the neck. The same features that make the 85 such a great, underrated bridge pup also make it a not-so-great overrated neck pup. It's hot and fat and gets muddy in the neck with gain. The 60 does a much better job in the neck. I blame Zakk for the confusion on this. My favorite EMG combo is the 85/60 for the reasons already mentioned.

Comment

I am going to be wiring up my 85 in the neck and leaveing my super distortion in the bridge....should be an allround good metal guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by jinx:
                        I am going to be wiring up my 85 in the neck and leaveing my super distortion in the bridge....should be an allround good metal guitar!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why? Either go all active or all passive. It just won't sound that good with both mixed together. You'll need a stereo input jack for the EMG (otherwise you'll drain your battery) and you'll also need 25k pots for it which won't work that well with passive pups.

Comment

If you're going to mix them they need their own pots (500k for the passive and 25k for the active) and they should only connect together at the jack which, as mentioned, will need to be stereo. I agree you'd be better off going all one or the other.

Comment

Well I just want to do it for fun i had the 85 81 set in my jackson but the 81 was sold with a bc rich so now i have this 85 laying around....im ghoing to run each on its own volume and yes i am aware of the jack so that will be going in also

Comment

I love the 85 so much more than the 81, that when my DKLE comes in, the 81 is going bye-byes within a year. if you only play Slayer, the 81 works, but for all around Metal, the 85 has it all over the 81, much more fat and less of those anoying highs of the 81. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X