SLSMG grounding question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG grounding question.

I am in the process of replacing the EMG-HZ toneless pickups in my SLSMG. When I took off the back panel to start de-soldering everything I noticed that there is a small metal bar screwed into the wood which has 2 wires connected from the pickups. Now I thought it was the bridge earth but after more checking out it seems to be another earth which the 2nd smaller earth cable that comes from the pickups is soldered to. It is not connected to anything other then these 2 wires...

Now the question is why is this there and when I replace the pickups which of the 2 earths do I take to this point? It seems it's wired with the big earth wire to the bridge and the 2 little ones to this little metal bar.

Cheers.

Re: SLSMG grounding question.

EMG-HZ are passive pickups, they are always grounded. If you decide on some other passive pickups you may use the same ground wires, so no need to remove them. I you decide to put in active EMGs you won't need to ground them.

Comment

Anyway, I had HZs in my DXMG till I haven't replaced them with 81s and both grounds of pickups were connected to that screw-on pin, also, the bridge ground was included.

Comment

The screw serves the role of a meeting point for all the grounding. it could be done without it easily, bur Jackson chose to do it that way.

Comment

Either I didnt explain my self very well or you guys have missed the point completely. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What I am saying is that this metal bar is SEPERATE from everything else. All that is connected are the thin ground wire from each pickup. The bigger ground wire from the pickups goes onto the back of the pots which is obviously connected to the bridge.

Whoops just realised this is in the wrong forum...

[ April 27, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy ]

Comment

OK, now I get it. To be honest I have no clue what's the purpose of that thin ground wire from the pickups. If my memory serves me well I've seen it connected together with the thick ground wire from the pickups. Also I don't think all pickups have the thin ground wire. My Seymour Duncans don't.

Comment

It doesn't matter where those grounds go. Usually the small ground and the big ground are soldered together. It's not unusual for them to be separated though. Basically, it means nothing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Still, I'd like to know why is it there? There must be a reason behind it.

Comment

Working...
                X