most honest amp around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most honest amp around

Interestingly, I find the opposite to be true in both the Boogies I use regularly - my own Recto and a 50 Cal at our rehearsal space. They're both brutally articulate and unforgiving.

Maybe I EQ differently? I don't use the "mushy, bass-heavy" sound usually associated with Rectos, and the 50 Cal has the "Death Vee" going on with the EQ so that it crunches...

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Re: most honest amp around

Take your pick:

Both the VHT UltraLead and Diezel Herbert are the 2 most articualte, defined, responsive, and "honest" sounding high-gain tube amps on the market IMHO. Neither will hide anything. What you put in, is exaclty what you get out. Both have a very fast/responsive attack, so you can play runs as fast as you want and notes will never run together or mush out. I love mine.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Out of all the amps that I have owned I would say it would be a toss up between a dimed out modded early 70's Hiwatt 100 watt head and the 1st gen. Peavey 5150 head. Very pure, very powerful and they are both no holds barred in your face amps that deliver on what they promise.

Comment

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

My Bogner Ecstacy is the most articulate, unforgiving amp Ive owned. But I think most people agree that the VHT's are the most articulate, super tight amps. No offense, but, an articulate Recto? Sure.

Comment

try a thd univalve.
            these things sound like your guitar and whatever tubes you put in it.
            you can put any type of power tubes in it to change the sound.
            its a very cool and unique amp.

Comment

most honest amp around

hi all

i'm just curious: what do you guys think is the most responsive, most dynamic, most honest amp around? you know, the amp that hides NOTHING and reproduces EVERYTHING exactly the way you want it to (ok, you have to be a good player to do take full advantage of such an amp..lol).

i'm not looking for buying recommendations or whatever, i'm just curious.

i have no clue so i'm not able to mention an amp by myself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

greets
              fragle

Comment

i find my Rivera's to be very articulate, and they don't hide your mistakes at all. maybe it's because they aren't gained out like some other amps. the Rivera has enough gain if your technique is up to par, but not enough for meedly meedly meedly crap. i find the opposite with my Boogie. you can make it so mushy that it'll will hide anything that even resembles a mistake.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hey, thenine - you and I have gone around about this before, IIRC. So here we go again...

I can assure you there's nothing wrong with my ears, and my Recto IS quite articulate - certainly moreso than many other amps I've played. (Soldanos and 5150s spring to mind. They both sound great, but I found them to be more forgiving of my mistakes.)

If you don't like Rectos, fine - but your opinion isn't any less valid than mine. The Bogner's a nice amp, and it's pretty unforgiving - the old one I played was, anyway - but not any moreso than I'm used to with the Mesa.

The VHTs seem to be very clear - I haven't owned one, but I have played through several different versions of them - but don't put up as much of a "fight" (for lack of a better term) as some others, including the Ecstacy and the Mesas, IMO.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'd agree with the Univalve being "honest". Almost too much so - you better be using a _great_ sounding guitar.

It's the same old story - use what works for you. This topic is so subjective as to be almost ridiculous. After all, these are all my impressions using my guitars and the amp's eqs set to a similar tone to what I usually use.

Mike

Comment

ha, finally i remember one amp: hughes&kettner puretone. that baby even has a "growl" control to blend out the eq controls. really nothing more than your fingers, your guitar, and a bunch of tubes. unfortunately, i have yet to play one, but i've been told those babes are amazingly responsive and clear. no heavy metal amps, though. maybe with some stompbox in front of them, but that kills the "Pure tone", doesnt it?

greets
                    fragle

Comment

Hey, I wasnt meaning to crack on your Recto Michael. I will refrain from commenting again, I didnt recall we had been thru this before. I think your are right about several things in your last post. EQing makes a huge difference and it IS very subjective. Speaker/cab choice is also important. As is choice of tubes.

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by thenine:
                        Hey, I wasnt meaning to crack on your Recto Michael. I will refrain from commenting again, I didnt recall we had been thru this before. I think your are right about several things in your last post. EQing makes a huge difference and it IS very subjective. Speaker/cab choice is also important. As is choice of tubes.

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Eh, OK, so I must have mis-interperated. Sorry. I thought it was you that I had a long Recto argument with in the past. It appears that I am mistaken - not like that would be a first. I tend to get sensitive about the Recto-bashing that seems to go on around here. People act like they're made by Ibenhad or something. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It _is_ a very subjective subjective subject (is that redundant?) - and I think the guitar makes as much difference as anything. My Soloist is much more articulate than some of my other guitars that are "mushier" in the midrange. Go figure, since it's a 7 string...

Mike

Comment

these are the best heads made PERIOD!!!
                          just kidding [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          theres alot of great amps out there but for me/my style marshalls have always worked best for me
                          rodded marshalls [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I think this is totally biased do to the speaker cabs/guitar/eq.... PICKUPS! My SLO is very articulate. I have owned a Rack Rectifier/a 3 ch Recto/ A 2 Channel Recto/ 2 5150's... 2 Lee Jackson Heads.. Carvins... ADA... Genz Benz Diablo... They all could sound very articualte with the right eq or speaker combination... Depends on the player too. Are you sloppy as shit on one amp or guitar but not another? This is subjective to your ears as well. The SLO is by far to me the most articulate and I am biased because it is the rig I am using now. Volume has alot to do with it too. Gain... A fender clean is always something people refer too... Is it because it is the most articulate??? My shitty fender m-80 is clean as hell. The crunch is good too... It is built like Junk too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ... What about line 6. I think the Vetta kills on some of the settings when it comes to articulation in terms of tone/ not for note.

What is articulate to my ears might sound like a wet fat fart to yours. Point made?

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X