Egnater M4-Awesome!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnater M4-Awesome!!!

I got it yesterday and hooked it up today. Easily the smoothest sounding amp I have ever heard. I can't get over how quiet it is, also.
    I have only been able to play at low volumes so far. But even with the master on 10:00 and the Marshall 20/20 at 12:00 it rips.

I got it on eBay with 5 modules: Fender Deluxe, Marshall JTM45, Vox AC30, Marshall SL++ & Egnater Hi-gain. I also bought and received a 6th module from Indoor Storm: EG3, which is the IE4's channel 3. I haven't played the Vox or the EG3 yet, so here is a brief rundown on the other 4.

The Deluxe is very smooth and clear. The gain knob controls the breakup very well. I had a Deluxe Reverb RI and this module sounds very much like it. I think that I will get the Twin to get the ultra crystal clear sound, also.

The JTM45 is my least favorite of the 4. I have never had an actual JTM45, so I can't compare it to the real deal. Can easily get Clapton & Bad Company out of it. It is very smooth, but I prefer my Marshalls to sound like SLPs.

The SL++ is definitely my fav. Sounds pretty darn close to the Splawn that I sold to get this. Not quite as hot, but still very Marshally. The mids are really voiced well on this module. I thought that I would only like this as a rhythm channel, but the lead is awesome, too. The EG3 is supposed to be the "Brown" sound channel, so I'll give a report on that one tomorrow.

The Egnater High Gain sounds just like the clip on AmazingTone.com. I have it scooped and it sounds so violin-like. A ton of gain, but not thrashy.

Very happy with this. I cannot wait to put the Twisteramps Poweramp in this rack.

Re: Egnater M4-Awesome!!!

Nice review Fritz,thanks.Does it feel like a real amp or like a modeling amp to you?Anything so far you don't like about it?I have been seriously gassing for one of these but I'd love to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Mc:
      Nice review Fritz,thanks.Does it feel like a real amp or like a modeling amp to you?Anything so far you don't like about it?I have been seriously gassing for one of these but I'd love to be sure.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Kev. It definitely does not have the feel of a modeling amp. It is a 4 channel tube preamp that definitely sounds like a tube amp. It is nowhere near as versatile as a Vetta, but it has the tube sound that I prefer. And that is not a knock on the Vetta. I liked my Vetta alot, but I wanted a tube sound.

It's pricey, so you have really decide if this is the route you want to go. I got mine on eBay for $1650 which included 5 modules and it is mint. They sell new for $1895 with 4 modules. If you want to add additional modules, they are about $390 ea.

I have only played it once, but nothing negative to report so far.

BTW, the clips on AmazingTone.com are very accurate. They don't have a clip of the SL++, but I can tell you that it sounds a little less hot than the Splawn clips on Splawnguitars.com

Comment

Fritz,

Sweet preamp! Hey the power amp isn't to bad either [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] One question is the Benz cab wired stereo?

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbflow:
          Fritz,

Sweet preamp! Hey the power amp isn't to bad either [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] One question is the Benz cab wired stereo?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that 20/20 is definitely a cool preamp. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The Genz Benz is wired for stereo - 75W, 8 ohms per side.

Comment

Cool beans, Fritz. I'm going to cut the turret board to size tonight, and should have the board built/populated this weekend, maybe even wired. After it's wired, then a little bit of tweaking (I tweak all my amps after building them, since parts aren't always to spec - it makes for a better sounding amp in my opinion) we should be in the home stretch.

I'll have some turret board pics for ya soon too... btw, did I mention I'm using black for this amp? Should be really cool looking.

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete, thanks for the most recent update. You really rock, bro!

I may have a potential customer for you. The guy that sold me the Egnater is very interested in having a low watt poweramp built. Okay if I send him your email addy?

Comment

Originally posted by fritzreiser:
                Hey Pete, thanks for the most recent update. You really rock, bro!

I may have a potential customer for you. The guy that sold me the Egnater is very interested in having a low watt poweramp built. Okay if I send him your email addy?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would be great. Thanks man!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X