Ever hear of Legend amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever hear of Legend amps?

I remember them from the 80s. I think Ted Nugent and maybe Joe Perry endorsed them at some point. Some countryish bands as well, New New Riders of the Purple Sage comes to mind (They put out "Green grass and high tides forever")

They came, and they went. Nothing special at all, I remember playing them in the stores. Seems I remember that they were always like a light colored woodgrain looking amp.

Re: Ever hear of Legend amps?

I didn't look closely enough to see if it was all tube or not-I just tilted it forward enough to see the metal covers. I guess I will look more closely next time. It is about 200 bucks, but this shop lowers the price on things every few weeks until it sells, so I may wait on it for a while. And yes, it is a light colored cabinet (maple maybe?) with a light grillecloth. It is kind of cool looking anyway. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I'd pick it up if it's that cheap. They're supposed to be pretty decent. I remember reading something about them in Guitar Shop magazine in the late '90s. I believe Michael is correct in that some of them were solid state preamps with tube poweramps, IIRC.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well then tell me this-I have a taste for small odd tube amps, either vintage or modern. Shall I hop on this, or go for maybe one of those little Epi Galaxie ones? Or are there any other cool inexpensive little tube treats out there? My old GIbson GA-25RVT gave me a bad case of tube fever.

Comment

Check it out first. Plug it in and make sure it works right. They've had a tendancy to be noisey even at low volume at least the ones I've encountered have been. A friend of mine has one and it hums like a over sized jarasic mesquito gettin ready to land on you. He can't find the problem with it either. He's had it worked on twice too. Not all are that bad as far as noise goes but just make sure. Also they are hybrid amps
          with ss preamps and tube power sections. And there may be a few that are tube pre and ss power. But ive only seen the first version.
          Gil

Comment

Ever hear of Legend amps?

In a local pawn shop I saw a "Legend" amp. It was an all-tube combo (1x12) and had what appears to be a wicker-like grill cloth and a natural finished wooden cabinet. On the backplate it says "handcrafted in the USA". THe price for this was ridiculouly low if it is a quality amp, and I might want to go check it out a little more closely. DOes this amp sound familiar to anyone?

Comment

Yeah, I remember them. I'm not sure they're all tube, though - I think at least some of them were hybrids, with tube power sections and solid state preamps. (Peavey also did this for a while.)

From what I remember, they were pretty decent little amps. Fire it up and find out!

Mike
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Looks like a few models are reviewed here.. dunno how much you believe what HC has to say though..
                http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Legend/

Comment

Tube preamp SS output some even came with a built in mic (57 I think ).

Comment

They were built here in Syracuse, NY in the 80's. They have a tube preamp and SS power amp. I'm not sure if they all were that way or not, but all the one's I've seen were. I think Billy Gibbons used one for some stuff too. They sound pretty cool.
                    Jerry
                    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
                    X