Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie

Hello.

I've been looking for a decent, I mean really decent amp on the market and couple of years ago I stopped in front of the MB line.
    Of course, the most wished things are those that aren't reachable and for my country there's no official importer for MB.

I've heard MB this, MB that, it's amazing and so on.
    I didn't have a chance of trying one so I beg you to post sound clips of you like. I would prefer more clean tones, not distorted.

I am looking mostly at dual rectifier and a cabinet, both from MB.
    I saw MB dual rect. on German ebay, and the price was app. $2800. Is this true? That means I'm not getting a MB for a couple of years... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Ok, thanks a lot guys!

Re: Mesa Boogie

I saw MB dual rect. on German ebay, and the price was app. $2800. Is this true? That means I'm not getting a MB for a couple of years...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it wasn't a full stack, somebody's getting seriously Jewed. Maybe this is a stupid question, but is the $2800 referring to the American Dollar (USD)?

Comment

Yes, that's the price in Germany in USD.

Here:
      http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...719790330&rd=1

Converting €2.333 price into USD you get app. $2790

Comment

Originally posted by metallicarocks:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> I saw MB dual rect. on German ebay, and the price was app. $2800. Is this true? That means I'm not getting a MB for a couple of years...
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it wasn't a full stack, somebody's getting seriously Jewed. Maybe this is a stupid question, but is the $2800 referring to the American Dollar (USD)? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Full-stack means that you get a cab along with the head?

Comment

Fullstack = 2 4x12 cabs + Head

Comment

Two cabs? One straight and one angled, right?

Geez ... and a head costs 2800 USD. How much's the head in USA?

Comment

The head is 1500 USD new.

Comment

Aw, that's nice amount of money.

Comment

i also went through that "i have to have a rectifier" phase.....i really suggest you not to get one. not because they are bad amps, but because they are fuckin expensive over here. i'd suggest looking for some things that are made in europe or at least aren't as overpriced as those mesas. try engl amps, they are very good for the money. you can also look into peavex xxx or 5150 amps. the triple xxx are more leaned towards rectifiers (no clone, though) and are way cheaper. the 5150 are EXTREMELY good heavy metal amps, and you can get a halfstack for under 1000€ if you are lucky (used, of course).

if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want a rectifier...well, better start saving your money [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but i can tell you there are better amps out there for the same price (for example the VHT ultra lead head)

greets
                  fragle

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle:
                    i also went through that "i have to have a rectifier" phase.....i really suggest you not to get one. not because they are bad amps, but because they are fuckin expensive over here. i'd suggest looking for some things that are made in europe or at least aren't as overpriced as those mesas. try engl amps, they are very good for the money. you can also look into peavex xxx or 5150 amps. the triple xxx are more leaned towards rectifiers (no clone, though) and are way cheaper. the 5150 are EXTREMELY good heavy metal amps, and you can get a halfstack for under 1000€ if you are lucky (used, of course).

if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want a rectifier...well, better start saving your money [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but i can tell you there are better amps out there for the same price (for example the VHT ultra lead head)

greets
                    fragle
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've tried one Peavey XXX yet, but it's also too expensive. It costs almost like Mesa (1200€). I don't get it, why musical equipment has to be so expensive in Europe. I guess buying second hand things is better here.

Comment

I have said to myself.. If no Mesa, then Marshall or tube Laney. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

hi

if you live in germany i would highly suggest to look after a used hughes and kettner ( mk1 are supposed to be better ) they go for around 1/1.2k Euro on germany ebay, my buddy has it and it smokes . 6 channels , from really good clean ( imho , i'm not a clean tone freak [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) to metal hi gain.

also engl's are suposed to be very good ( blackmore , savage, powerballs )

Comment

I don't live in Germany, but Slovenia has a Schengens' agreement with Germany, so selling the stuff to another country which is inside EU isn't a problem.

But anyway, I was just checking which amp to buy in future. At this time, truly said, my budget is 0.00€.

Yeah, also the H&K thingies came to my mind, but I don't know... They seem to me more poprock than a heavy amp.
                          Well, all I need is wattage and cabinet with room for fat bottom ends.
                          Also, I want something with very nice clean tone for playing blues, some old Chuck Berry tunes, Deep Purple. Sometimes I just cannot resist the sound of a tube clean channel and I wanna rock'n'roll all day long. Or sat down like BB King with guitar on stomach and playing some wannabe blues. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don't need a modern gain channels since I have my Boss units which work for me very fine and I'm not very into changing them, even though tube distortion is better. But running Boss through tube clean wouldn't be that bad, right?

Anyway, I need good tube clean and a vintage overdrive. That's all.

Comment

uh....yeah, the triple XXX is about 1200€, but mesa is about 2200€....

if you want a good tube amp, you HAVE to invest at least 1000€ for the head (exeptions: older marshalls and peavey 5150. marshall 2203's go for 500-600€, peavey 5150 too)

greets
                            fragle

Comment

Yes, I know and I'm faced with the fact, that good tube amps are 1000 and over.

When I played XXX I didn't feel the tubes like you can feel them in Fender Hot Rod or Marshall JCM 800 or 900.
                              Maybe tubes needed more warm-up.

I'm willing to invest app. 1400€. I'll see, but I'm really in love with Mesa. I have a feeling that these amps have balls.
                              Anyway, maybe I'll hook up some XXX and I'll be satisfied like no one.

Comment

Working...
                              X