Solid state players??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid state players??

I know that most people think tubes rule (if it works for you, that is what matters)... but does anyone here (besides me) play solid state??
    I have a Crate GFX1200H that I run through 2 4x12 cabs. With my RX10D, I have awesome tone, and am very happy with my sound. Any other Crate players here? Just wondering.... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Solid state players??

I don't play Crate, but I do play solid state. I have two setups:

For quiet practice, I use a modified Univox U65G. I swear, this is the best sounding clean amp I have ever heard, and everybody who hears it agrees. My friend the big tube snob cannot beleive it is solid state and had to open it up to see if there was a tube preamp. There isn't. This amp is totally a blues amp. It even breaks up like an old Fender tube amp would. Has built in reverb and tremolo. When I want more distortion I just add a Boss Heavy Metal. Makes for some remarkable tones.

When more power and distortion is needed I use a Fender Eighty-Five, which is basically a Princeton 65. Has built in reverb and "overdrive". The tone of this thing is more like what you would expect from solid state. Nothing special, but not bad.

The best part is, I got both of them for $25 each at garage sales. The Fender I will definitely part with when I find someone who wants it. The Univox is a keeper.

Comment

i play ampeg solid state amps and have for the past 12 years...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

As a practice amp, I love the Tech 21 Trademark 10. All of their stuff is pretty great, actuallly. I had a Trademark 60, which was also very nice, but not as wicked in the distortion department. And, I had a SansAmp GT2, which was also great. Next, I'd really like to get a Trademark 30 (same amp as Trademark 10, but with more power, real wood case and larger speaker).

Comment

i use a behringer V-amp for practice and dummy recordings. but im a pro tube guy when it comes to the real deal

Comment

I like SS, but my HD147 took a dump today.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

What happened with the HD147?

Comment

I have a Crate GFX212 combo that's gonna be replaced by a Line 6 Vetta...

Comment

What happened with the HD147?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont know, was just nooodling around at home, and all of a sudden every light lit up, and wouldnt respond at all.

Gonna take it to a service center Monday.....

Shawn
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Well due to a small space and little money I play a Behringer V-amp and a Line 6 Spider and they more than meet my needs.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Solid state user here. I run a danelectro daddy o pedal into an old Squier champ. Not the greatest sound I've ever heard, but really damn good for how much I spent on it. It's perfect for practice and jazz gigs. Doesn't pump enough volume for a metal band enviroment, however.

A friend of mine uses a line 6 distortion unit into a fender deluxe hotrod combo. It sounds great, and is plenty loud to be heard over his melodic death metal band. So I'm thinking about getting one of those.

Comment

I use a Marshall AVT50 (valvestate i know), sounds pretty awesome when turned up. I recently bought a Roland VGA-3 modelling amp. Sounds incredible. I would love to have a 5150 though or a JCM 800.
                        93 USA Soloist EDS
                        USA HT6 Juggernaut
                        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I have 3 SS set ups.
                          Large Club: Flextone HD, Longboard, 2 4 x 12" cabinets or 2 2 x 12" cabinets
                          Small club: Peavey Transchorus 210 mic'd
                          Practice at home: Roland Cube 30

Comment

i have a boss gt6 going into a hughes and kettner metroverb for practice.

for band practice/gigs i switch out the h&k for a mesa nomad but carry the h&k as a back up.

to tell you the truth, when playing extreme clean and heavy distortion, i prefer ss amps over tube amps.

the only edge tube amps have is the semi clean blues tones and the fat warm lead tones that solid state just can;t get.

those tones are very rarely used when playing metal, so i think ss amps would fit alot of people's needs here.

Comment

I have a Crate, but it's all tube. I used to use a Marshall Valvestate that was pretty good, but not very versatile. Before that I had a Peavey Supreme 160 that was a toneless P.O.S.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X