ZVex Nano head wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZVex Nano head wow!

Wow nothing. I had read the reviews on Harmony Central and the praise elsewhere. I had the opportunity to get one brand new today on sale for a very good price (relatively speaking) . So I tried it out for a while with a number of guitars and a couple cabinets. I'm not sure what the hoopla about this thing was all about - it sounded terrible. Really awful. It was buzzy and harsh. The clean tone was dull and lifeless. The tone switches were easy enough to figure out - the impact of each was obvious. It did respond properly to tone/volume adjustments on the guitar. A buddy of mine was with me and couldn't believe it. He played the thing for a bit as well and couldn't get any good tone out of it either.

The guitars I used were a 70's Strat (maybe 80's I didn't look closely), 70's Les Paul, and an 80's Les Paul. The cabinets I tried it with were a THD 2x12 and a Fender 2x12 loaded with Celestions (Vintage 30's I believe). It sounded least bad with the Strat and the Celestion cab.

It's funny, the guy in the store said "oh yeah, we had a guy come in a few days ago and had the same results - he didn't like it either." Apparently this other customer was far more determined than I was, he played it with a lot more cabinets and guitars. Didn't change the outcome though.

I was really hoping this was going to be a cool amp. I had resisted trying one before because I didn't want to get interested in a $500 amp that had limited uses. Today it was $300 (I walked into a store that had 40% off of all ZVex stuff today). I wouldn't have paid $100 for it.

Sorry to post a negative review - either this thing is seriously overrated or I played through a real lemon.

It's a very cool idea and a great form factor. Maybe the next one...
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: ZVex Nano head wow!

I played through one once and I didn't care for it either. I don't know what all the hipe was about either, other than it's a really small tube amp.

Jason

Comment

poo, I had high hopes for those too; a nice 0.5 or 1 watt tube amp is exactly what I'd love right now.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
        Wow nothing.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bwahahahahaahaahah [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There was a dealer from Seattle down here at the Portland Guitar Show with one of those, just raving about it....I plugged it in, it sounded like Feces Deluxe, and the guy looked at me with a totally straight face and says "sounds killer, huh?" I started laughing...

It's kind of like Zachary Vex hot rodded a Radio Shack project...Vex makes some cool effects - but this isn't one of his better products...

I've yet to find a midget amp that does what it's supposed to do (other than sound like a midget amp...)

Steve e

Comment

The biggest problem is, we're expecting a small amp using tiny tubes to sound as good as an amp with full sized power tubes (EL34, 6L6, etc.)

The Gerhart kit amp I built was pretty close, and the H&K Cream Machine did decent amp tones, but the H&K has some solid state stuff in it to boost the gain. I heard the Nano once, and thought it was an engineering marvel, but a tonal nightmare.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
            The biggest problem is, we're expecting a small amp using tiny tubes to sound as good as an amp with full sized power tubes (EL34, 6L6, etc.)

Pete
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree Pete - it does come down to expectations, and it is unrealistic to expect something that size to impress when being compared to a regular rig...

Steve E

Comment

I own one, and run it through my Marshall cab, and I think it sounds great.....

Perfect for home recording,playing use. Also takes pedals VERY well. On the right setting, sounds exactly like a cranked Plexi. Maybe you need to change guitars? My Les Paul Custom sings through it.

Maybe they are all built differently, and I got a great one, but mine stays.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X