Help me pick out a cheap head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me pick out a cheap head.

If you're doing the work yourself, I think the Randall is a good deal. I borrowed one of those for a while, and I thought they sounded pretty good, actually.

Mikr
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Peavey VTM heads are crunchy as hell and have a great high gain sound - think modded JCM800 tones. Cheap as dirt too.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
        Peavey VTM heads are crunchy as hell and have a great high gain sound - think modded JCM800 tones. Cheap as dirt too.

Pete
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was seriously considering a VTM. Probably a 60. I used to have a Butcher, so I know how loud and crunchy those old Peavey tube amps were.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
          Hey BM, I used to have one when they first came out. It was great for playing by myself, but at rehearsal, it didn't cut it. I was in a Megadeth tribute band at the time, and both guitar players had Peavey Supreme 160s. It sounded like a swarm of hornets. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, when you start cranking it you have to go easy on the preamp gain. When I crank it all the way I have the preamp on about 4 so it doesn't mush up the power section. If you don't, it sounds like mashed ass.

Comment

I have to say that the Laney AOR Pro Tube Lead Head that I picked up from Crankdaddy, kicks major ass and is all tube. I paid $275 for it and have been playing it since I got it. Everyone that has heard it has loved it. It sounds like a very, very good Marshall...and then some.

Comment

I guy I used to hang out with had one of those Peavey VTM's and it was definitely a gain monster. I'm not one of those guys who is all about finding the perfect tone, In fact I really don't care what I am playing through as long as it is decent, but that VTM was louder than hell and had enough gain for playing hardcore/death metal type sounds.

Comment

I agree, I had a VTM 120 half-stack, and I sure miss it.
                I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Working...
                X