• Randall tube head question.

Anyone ever played one of these?

Randall RGT100ES 100 watt tube head.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Randall tube head question.

Well, I bought it anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

I hope it's not a piece of shit, otherwise you are all to blame for not helping me out. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

hey ive got a RGT100es. they are great sounding amps. they are not over the top high gain tho. think more old Def Lep, LA Guns kinda sounds. more gain than say a stock JCM800 & alot better clarity & bottom end. Be careful tho they are very sensitive as to what reverb driver tube is used. some make the amp sound very thin & make the reverb act almost like a presence control. I had mine modded by Chris Davis out of wappingers falls NY , he was framptons tech in the 70's, & thats just a start. way back before Ruby went out of business, I know they are back but i dont know how they are. anyway the BEST tone i got from it was a boogie 12AX7/7025 first, 3 sovteks 12AX7s, an indian made ecc83 reverb driver & Ruby 6L6's. i had the amp retubed/biased by a guy on long island & he made it sound like SHIT. its thin & kinda buzzy & all the tubes are sovteks. Im going to have it redone again soon but i dont play out so its just sitting around collecting dust for now.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
        hey ive got a RGT100es. they are great sounding amps. they are not over the top high gain tho. think more old Def Lep, LA Guns kinda sounds. more gain than say a stock JCM800 & alot better clarity & bottom end. Be careful tho they are very sensitive as to what reverb driver tube is used. some make the amp sound very thin & make the reverb act almost like a presence control. I had mine modded by Chris Davis out of wappingers falls NY , he was framptons tech in the 70's, & thats just a start. way back before Ruby went out of business, I know they are back but i dont know how they are. anyway the BEST tone i got from it was a boogie 12AX7/7025 first, 3 sovteks 12AX7s, an indian made ecc83 reverb driver & Ruby 6L6's. i had the amp retubed/biased by a guy on long island & he made it sound like SHIT. its thin & kinda buzzy & all the tubes are sovteks. Im going to have it redone again soon but i dont play out so its just sitting around collecting dust for now.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just got mine yesterday. It sounds great. You're right, the gain isn't over the top, but it is plenty in my opinion. Mine has Sovteks in it, at least for the power tubes. I haven't looked at the pre-amp tubes, as they are covered up. Christ almighty, this thing is LOUD!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I have only been able to try out channel 2 yet, because you can't switch channels without the footswitch, and I don't have one. It has some weird 6 pin footswitch socket. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Channel 2 has a pull sustain on the master volume knob, and it lowers the volume, but really does sustain notes for a long time. I can't wait to try channel 1. I assume channel 1 has less gain than channel 2. Am I right? Channel 1 also has a pull mid-boost on the master volume.

So far, I am very pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
          channel 1 is clean, very fender y. but not as bright. the pull on channel2 is great for bedroom volumes. if you cant find a footswitch LMK i think i may be able to help ya. im the original owner of mine they are pretty bullet proof. for single note lines & stuff I find an old tube screamer or my XXL with just a touch of gain is enough to give it an add kick in the butt. plus i found it alot less mushy than say a marshall or 5150.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You have a PM waiting!!

I have Tech 21 XXL too. Hey perhaps you could let me know what your settings are on the XXL and the amp. It will at least give me a good starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
            I sell the Cinch/Jones TRW 6 pin plug that fits your Randall so if you want one let me know. If Jamie can jot down a quick wiring schematic I could make you a footswitch if you need one. I have repaired several of them through the years.
            The 2 button switch does channel switching, reverb on and off and channel combining and it has a red and green LED which is powered by one of the 6 pins.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Matt(it is Matt right), are you sure that's the same footswitch? My amp has 2 sockets on the back. One is a 1/4" phono and says "reverb" and the other has the 6 pin and says "channel". I got a schematic from Randall, and by using some short pieces of wire as jumpers, I can mimick the functions of the footswitch. One button switches between channel 1 and 2, and the other button switches from single to both, meaning with both activated, it uses the master volume from channel 2, but it uses the gain control from both channels, and seems to add a fair amount of gain.

Anyway, if j2379 can hook me up with a footswitch, I'll be good to go. Otherwise, I'll be buying one of those 6-pin plugs off you.

Comment

channel 1 is clean, very fender y. but not as bright. the pull on channel2 is great for bedroom volumes. if you cant find a footswitch LMK i think i may be able to help ya. im the original owner of mine they are pretty bullet proof. for single note lines & stuff I find an old tube screamer or my XXL with just a touch of gain is enough to give it an add kick in the butt. plus i found it alot less mushy than say a marshall or 5150.

Comment

I sell the Cinch/Jones TRW 6 pin plug that fits your Randall so if you want one let me know. If Jamie can jot down a quick wiring schematic I could make you a footswitch if you need one. I have repaired several of them through the years.
                The 2 button switch does channel switching, reverb on and off and channel combining and it has a red and green LED which is powered by one of the 6 pins.

Comment

I looked one place(a studio)sold it i have one more source to check tomorrow for ya. the footswitch one button does channel switching the other does both channels at once. reverb is a seperate 1/4" jack, mine is pluged with a half power switch tho.

Comment

My name is John BTW, If you need the 6 pin plug just let me know. I will send you one for free bro. John G

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                      My name is John BTW, If you need the 6 pin plug just let me know. I will send you one for free bro. John G
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry John. I think Newc had the same avatar for a while, hence the confusion. (Or perhaps I smoked one too many [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] )

Anyhoo, if Jamie can't find a footswitch for me, then I will definitely need one of those, rather than making one out of male spade connectors and epoxy. I would feel better paying you for it though. I'll let you know.

Thanks guys.

Paul

Comment

By the way, the other guys in my band have TOLD me that I have to use the Randall at rehearsal rather than the BV. I guess they like it. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

couldnt get the footswitch the guy laughed at me "Jamie that was here years ago, i think we gave it away"....oh well i can email you a diagram.

Randall are the best bang for the buck used, especially for what you paid for it. I bought mine NEW in 87 for $800 the SS version was $500. i also had a few of those. including some rare ones.

the XXL i set the gain at 9oclock barely any. warp straight up 12oclock, tone in the middle where its does nothing, & set the volume so its not a noticable difference in volume. i use almost the same with the tube screamer except i use more gain since its adds very little.

Comment

Hey thanks anyway for trying Jamie. I'll have to get one of those plugs from John and build a footswitch. I have the wiring diagram already. I had Randall send me a copy.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X