No announcement yet.

Selling/Trading in my Dual Recto for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling/Trading in my Dual Recto for...

I'm thinking about trading in or selling my Dual Recto for either a Boogie Mark IV, Peavey 5150, or a 5150 II. I'm looking for a crunchy thick OD channel, but none of the buzzy or flabbiness of the Rectifier...Also an amp that sounds decent at bedroom level would be nice...

Re: Selling/Trading in my Dual Recto for...

None of those amps will sound good at bedroom level.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
      None of those amps will sound good at bedroom level.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It was a complete sentence without "at bedroom level". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Im thinking get a THD HOTPLATE and all of those will be good at BR level.

Comment

I actually have a THD Hot Plate..i got one used off ebay a while ago...

Comment

The Mark IV is a great amp, but extremely tweakable and you have to take your time and learn how to dial in the tone you want. It doesn't sound like the rectifier series--the mark series has it's own voice. I like them a lot, but I'd try one out (if you haven't) before making a choice.

The Mark IV's master volume is pretty good, won't sound horrible when turned down. However, for really, really good master volume / high gain / big wattage amps, I suggest checking out Splawn Modded Marshalls (amazing master), Soldanos and VHTs. Despite the big wattage, those amps still sound great down low. That's my opinion, anyway.

Comment

Actually I think the 5150 is a good bedroom amp as far a thick distortion at a reasonable volume.
              It sounds a lot better a higher volume but I can think of buzzier, screechier and nstier amps at the same gain/volume setting.

I have the 5150 combo that I am selling BTW because I recently added a Powerball to the stable.
              The DR could be what you are looking for with the right settings and the right attenuator. I am thinking Airbrake here.

my two cents.

Joe
              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I will never understand why players go for high wattage monster stadium tube amps for their bedrooms. I know so many guys with 1/2 or full stacks in their bedrooms. The volume never even gets past 1. How could you possibly be considering a 5150, Mesa Boogie Dual, Mark IV or any other high powered amp for use at bedroom levels. This is certainly a job for 2 amps. A small practice amp (like Roland Cube 30 or a small Spyder) and a powerful gigging amp like the ones you mentioned.

Comment

I PLAY MY FU**IN' USA RHOADS THRU MY FU**IN' 50WATTS 1/2 STACK SLO CLONE AT MY FU**IN' BEDROOM (4m x 4m dimensions)!! SO FU**IN' WHAT??? [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

What ever blows your skirt up bro...

Comment

Remember "Back To Future I"???? (Note sayd "dont play the amp") BAAAHH [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] MM!!

Comment

actually, my Mark IV is the best bedroom amp I've ever had. but then and again, i stand in another romm from my amps when i play. but when the wife is home and watching the TV or talking on the phone, the Boogie will sound fantastic on 1. the secret is to turn down the channel volumes to 1 and turn up the output volume to 2-3. then you get more of the power tube sound as opposed to the preamp tube buzziness. oh yeah, you can bump the Mark IV down to a low wattage output by using different combinations of the pentode/triode switch, the class A/class AB switch and the tweed power switch on the front. it'll go down to 30 or less watts of power output. so it's in line with jg's roland cube and spider amps.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I will never understand why players go for high wattage monster stadium tube amps for their bedrooms. I know so many guys with 1/2 or full stacks in their bedrooms. The volume never even gets past 1. How could you possibly be considering a 5150, Mesa Boogie Dual, Mark IV or any other high powered amp for use at bedroom levels. This is certainly a job for 2 amps. A small practice amp (like Roland Cube 30 or a small Spyder) and a powerful gigging amp like the ones you mentioned.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not to be rude or start an argument with you, but what difference does it really make to anyone else but the person with that gear? We all agree that tone is subjective, so what difference does it really make if a persons entire bedroom is filled with a bunch of amps at all different wattages?

As long as they didnt steal them from someone, what do I care?

Comment

I state in my post that I don't understand it. I never said that they can't fill their entire bedrooms up with stacks and amps. Except for asthetics (its cool to have walls of amps), I just don't get it. Why cook tubes and play on 1?

Comment

I state in my post that I don't understand it. I never said that they can't fill their entire bedrooms up with stacks and amps. Except for asthetics (its cool to have walls of amps), I just don't get it. Why cook tubes and play on 1?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll be 100% honest to you. I play my 50/100 amp at full vol in 50 watts TRIODE MODE [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] This delivers 25 watts (but not 1/2 decibels!!). I build my amp with 2/4 tube switching & pentode/triode switching. 2/4 valve is not a simple mod (you need a multiple impedance output trany). BUT TRIODE PENTODE IS SOMETHING THAT ANY AMP TECH SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO AND EVERY ONE SHOULD HAVE TOO.
                              So, I designed my amp to be a Full Power 100W Beast, a 50W Club Player or a 25w bedroom wall "asthetic" amp, but allways runnig full power!

Comment

Working...
                              X