EL34 or KT88 Vs 6L6GC (compare them)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34 or KT88 Vs 6L6GC (compare them)

Do anyone have experience with EL34 or KT88 instead 6L6GC to compare them?
    Ok, here's my story: I build my SLO clone 50w/100w and triode/pentode switchin', loadded with Fender(Sovtek) 12AX7 & 5881(6L6GC).
    It was not a personal choice (no previous experience with brands neither), just the available ones here in Rosario(city)-Argentina(country).
    If not changing tipe but brand, found GTs 12AX7 & 6L6GC (red, white & blue?) & Electro Harmonix EL34EH are available too but...Would the sound improvment worth the money?
    I use custom re-wired(only one pair) shefields (more bass response) 5150 slant cab.
    My axe is a EMG 60n/81b loadded USA Rhoads.

Re: EL34 or KT88 Vs 6L6GC (compare them)

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-e.htm

That guy knows his stuff.

Comment

Look up at the top of this page and see Pete's (Twisteramps) topic of different tubes.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've used them all, and have settled on KT88 amps. However, most amps that weren't designed with them in mind won't supply them with enough plate voltage to really make them shine.

Most EL34 amps are running around 450 volts, and the good sounding KT88 amps are running almost 700 volts through them. I believe that high voltage is important to getting them to sound like the monster king of all tubes that they are.

I think an amp converted to KT88 won't make them shine as well as they could, And really, that amp EQ design was probably tailored to the tubes that were in mind during the designing of the amp... You might just stumble upon the holy grail of sounds, but, you might not. And have killed a lot of the amps value.

Comment

I'd like to add that my Dual Rectifier sounds sweet as hell with KT88s...

Comment

Guess I should measure my amps plate voltage & ask Bob which are my options. Thanxs for the info on KT88 average plate voltage, I'll check this.
            The questions are due I have few bucks & I live in the other side of the golobe, wanna be pretty shure of what I do!.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
              I've used them all, and have settled on KT88 amps. However, most amps that weren't designed with them in mind won't supply them with enough plate voltage to really make them shine.

Most EL34 amps are running around 450 volts, and the good sounding KT88 amps are running almost 700 volts through them. I believe that high voltage is important to getting them to sound like the monster king of all tubes that they are.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is published at EUROTUBES: "An amp that has anywhere from 450 to 500 plate volts can run a JJ KT88 at between 50mA and 90mA per tube."
              "Now I do want touch on one more thing that is a big myth. Just because a JJ KT88 will actually dissipate 50 watts does NOT mean that because you use a quad in a DR you will have a 200 watt amp! It doesn't work that way. To get more power from an amp the plate voltage needs to increase and you can't do that unless you replace the transformers to supply a higher plate voltage ( please no questions... ) For instance my Twin when loaded with JJ 6L6GC's will make right at 90 watts before clipping and loaded with a quad of JJ KT88's it makes 98 watts before clipping which is not much and is basically perceived as a little more headroom. You have to double your wattage to gain 3db so if you calculate the difference the KT88's will breakup only a fraction of 1db louder than the 6L6's."

"Anyone reading this has my full permission to post it on HC or anywhere else."

Comment

I know i prefer 6L6s over el34's, when i had modded marshalls & carvins & stuff that was always the first thing done to them. 6L6 power tubes, much tighter more thump less mid range & buzzyness IMO. then ide have the amp modded /tweaked from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                  Please notice I said the "KT88 amps that sound good run almost 700 volts". The concept here to examine is "sounds good" (to me of course) Hehe...

Yeah, I see the 700 volts point, but question is... does it worth the extra bucks go KT88 when I replace my 6L6'? I'm plannig to throw away my krapy sovteks and replace them with JJ. Do you see my point?

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                    I know i prefer 6L6s over el34's, when i had modded marshalls & carvins & stuff that was always the first thing done to them. 6L6 power tubes, much tighter more thump less mid range & buzzyness IMO. then ide have the amp modded /tweaked from there.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I always preferred EL34s over 6L6s - I like the midrange crunch EL34s have, and 6L6s just sound hollow to me. Oh well, choice is good!

Pete

Comment

"An amp that has anywhere from 450 to 500 plate volts can run a JJ KT88 at between 50mA and 90mA per tube."
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Can run" is the generalization... You "can run" race gas in a Yugo, whether it works well is another concept... You "can" take a hot date to McDonalds, whether you get some later is another concept... Etc, etc.

Sure, you "can run" the tube in a low voltage amp, whether the tube is really being optimized is somewhat of a question...

Please notice I said the "KT88 amps that sound good run almost 700 volts". The concept here to examine is "sounds good" (to me of course) Hehe...

I'd have to figure VHT uses a high plate voltage for a reason. Transformers and the surrounding circuitry stuff that has to deal with that much voltage aren't all that cheap, so they must have a fair reason to lay out the extra expenses.

Nonetheless, the KT88 tube is my holy grail of power tubes... High or low voltage.

But, a real EL34 guy, probably won't like them.

Comment

May you could try what I did. I changed from regular EL34s and went with 6CA7s, basically Big Bottle EL34s. More headroom, and more bass, but clear and tough as hell!! I cook them through my VHT Pittbull CLX-100 and they have been faithfull for over a year!! Great tubes, oh and mine are EH brand. Jack.

Comment

thanx for your advice, still thinking 'till I get the bucks!

Comment

I am with John on this one.... KT88's at the right voltage and between 6l6 and EL34 sign me up with pete I will take EL34 although I had a Marshall 6100 that ran 6l6's in the 5881 sockets and it sounded great....

I am a vetta user and will continue to be but I am going to get another VHT2150 when the money is there I love that power amp... Heavy and harder to lug around but man the tone was there.
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by j2379:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I always preferred EL34s over 6L6s - I like the midrange crunch EL34s have, and 6L6s just sound hollow to me. Oh well, choice is good!

Pete
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm with you Pete, it's very hard to get that upper midrange crunch that an EL34 has out of a 6L6.
                              Althought, I will admit, the Mesa Mark IIC+ head I picked up recently sounds pretty good with 6L6's. I had to do quite a bit of tweeking of the tones, pull shift knobs and graphic EQ to get it to simulate an amp equipted with EL34's.
                              This amp is load except it doen't have the Similclass option to mix power tube.
                              I've been told it could be added though, I'm thinking about looking into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X