Bogner Uberschall GAS !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner Uberschall GAS !!

Been hearing a lot of talk recently about the Bogner Uberschall that sent me looking around the net. I read the reviews, but then I listened to all the sample clips on the Bogner website AND THAT'S THE SOUND IN MY HEAD !! I love it, it sounds like a hybrid between my recto and my Orange which is what I've been looking for. But they cost so damn much. I have to sell more shit now and pick one up, that's it !! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Riff 1

Riff 2

[ May 09, 2004, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: TattooedCarrot ]

Re: Bogner Uberschall GAS !!

You will love the Uberschall! I love mine. I have spent a lot of time tweaking it and trying different tubes. This amp is a monster. If you get one shoot me an email and I will share some settings with you.

Comment

Weird thing about the Uber, is that I like the sound when it is at lower volume. When at a high volume, to me, it seems to get colored too much by the EL34s breaking up and loses its articulation.

Still a "good" sound and better than most amp heads for sure, but it loses what the preamp sounds like at lower volumes.

I wonder if different tubes would solve that somewhat. I'd rally like to hear an Uber converted to say 6550 tubes that didn't break up as much as the EL34s.

Comment

how much are we talkin' here???
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

$1750-$2100us used.. I think around $2600-$2700us new.

Comment

The Uber might be the most "fun" amp I've ever played through....total metalhead inspiration...

While it may not be the most versatile amp out there - it does the metal crunch to the bone...you might check out an Ecstacy first before springing for the Uber if you ever think you're going to need more than one bone crushing sound [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Looks like Tim K. is all over it - he's got both of them.

By all means do what you can to play them in person - side by side if possible.

Steve E

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
              Weird thing about the Uber, is that I like the sound when it is at lower volume. When at a high volume, to me, it seems to get colored too much by the EL34s breaking up and loses its articulation.

Still a "good" sound and better than most amp heads for sure, but it loses what the preamp sounds like at lower volumes.

I wonder if different tubes would solve that somewhat. I'd rally like to hear an Uber converted to say 6550 tubes that didn't break up as much as the EL34s.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually the Uber's were going to have 6550's in them and that is how the prototypes were equipped. I don't know why they changed to El 34's but a quick cal to Bogner could answer the question and also you could ask if the amp would accept 6550's some how.

Derek

Comment

Actually I just called Bogner and asked them about the 6550's. They said they switched to El34's cause the 6550's made the amp sound very muddy comparitively to the El34's. They also said you could put 6550's in but you would have to change a few resistor's.

Derek

Comment

Looks like this amp has a really cool sound! Hope that I'm perhaps able to afford one in 10 or 15 years [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree. Almost every Bogner I've tried has a great MV design. However, I'm really not to sure why Bogner switched to EL34s in the Uberschall. They sound great for heavy rhythms, but they sound too hairy/fuzzy/undefined for leads IMHO because of the superhot preamp in Uber.

My other big gripe with my Uberschall is that once you dial in a good lead sound, you have to go back and tweak the knobs to get a good rhythm sound. For a $2500 amp, this should be footswitchable. After spending a lot of time tweaking my Uber, I've found that it's not versatile enough for me and you wind up having to make too many compromises with your tone. Another big minus for me is when you crank the lead channel volume to 5 (12:00) or more, the clean channel volume can't match it, no matter how you set it. FYI I've tried cranking the clean channel volume & using the clean gain pot to control volume; I've tried tweaking both channel volumes and the global mv, but bottom line, the clean channel volume can't match the lead channel's volume when cranked. I've observed this on 3 other Ubers besides mine as well. The Uber is a great amp for certain tones, but overall its far too limited for its pricetag.

YMMV.

Comment

Yep, I agree. While I loved the dist channel, it was just not versatile or practical enough for me. So I bought an Ecstacy instead. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now, that I have an ecstacy, it's time to go ahead and grab an Uber! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Now that would be crushing!

Comment

I us e the word actually to much it seems! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz:
                          After spending a lot of time tweaking my Uber, I've found that it's not versatile enough for me and you wind up having to make too many compromises with your tone.

YMMV.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So what you're saying, is that you're going to sell me your uber at a great price?
                          [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X