Need your half-stack opinion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your half-stack opinion please

I will soon buy a head and 4X12 cabinet. I want your advise. I love the Marshall sound, and am pretty well sold on it. I will consider your opinions gladly.

Requirements:
    + tube or hybrid (not solid state)
    + a very maiden, savatage, 7 witches, nevermore, exodus, thrash metal sound.
    + less than $1200.00 (US)
    + can be slightly used.
    + very reliable.
    + Fierce crunch and growl. Unholy bottom end (to do 7-string justice)

Of course the guitars are Jacksons... PS-4 and DXMG.

Thank you in advance for "sounding off"!

Re: Need your half-stack opinion please

your last two points cry for an engl if you ask me.
    I love their sound anyway, and I think with lesser gain settings, it could do your maiden thing quite good.

myself I also like my triamp head, which has many different sounds in it, last long without any repairs or tube changes and gives great cleans and distortion.

for your 7-string thing, I could think of an H&K T-Warp. lota power and punch and especially for low tuned guitars.

as for your first point, I'd go for tube. my friend has got a hybrid, and it sounds somehow artificial to me...
    can't explain, but it lacks balls.

hope I could help somehow... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Unholy bottom end
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">when are you guys going to learn that your low end comes from the bass guitar!
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You're quite unlikely to get all that at the price stated new for sure. it is somewhat possible used, but sorta unlikely still...

To do those tones mentioned, the head would be close to that amount I'm sure.

Fierce crunch, growl, and an unholy bottom end doesn't quite come cheap...

I just don't know what amp to point you to. What you are describing basically is Framus or ENGL territory... And they are serious $$$... But, worth every cent. My CAE3+se/VHT 2150 rack rig does all that pretty nicely, but, I have a ton of cash in it as well.

You Might get an old marshall 800, a 4x12 and a good pedal for that much... That would get a lot of that. But, that is more of a 80s 90s metal sound. Not the nevermore or downtuned stuff.

A modeller amp (gag) may do all that in a generic fashion (as they generally do things). But, even they are pricey.

Comment

Thank you guys for chiming in with your thoughts. And please keep replying, I want more opinions.

I have to share with you guys what happened today. There I was. Minding my own business (in Guitar Center). I asked a salesman about what I wanted. I demoed a Mesa Dual rec in the loud room. I told him I wanted to really demo it. I was not playing around. Put up anything breakable and lets light those tubes up. I have to admit it was top-notch. Damn-near threatening. I MUST HAVE ONE with the oversized 4X12 cab. Dudes...I am one the verge of becoming a convert having been a dyed-in-the-wool Marshall fan. For SHAME Marshall. The dual rec is to be RECKONED with.

It will take more time. But I will bring Hell home with me one day and plug it in. ...then set my Marshall right next it for humiliation.

Comment

If you are contemplating squeezing out the dineros for a MESA, truly think about an ENGL, or Framus. They are by far a better amp than a recto, and aren't too much out of the price range really.

Although the MESA units do trash the "new" Marshalls... That's just not too hard to do. There is MUCH more to the amp world than MESA and Marshall bro.

SICK assed Framus Cobra clip
            http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/Dyi...obra%20MP3.mp3

Serious Savage 120clip
            http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/inj...nce_anfang.mp3

Rock solid amps, check the sound bytes area...
            http://www.rocksolidamps.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:

SICK assed Framus Cobra clip
              http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/Dyi...obra%20MP3.mp3
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

As I read your first post I was thinking ENGL all the way...I've owned the Mesa Rectos and the ENGL kicks their ass in every way.

- Joel
                RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                RIP Dime

Comment

Try this one on for size. Way expenive but killer meat here.

Riff 1

Riff 2

Comment

Ashdown Fallen Angel, 'nuff said.

Comment

How much we talkin' here? The Bogner sounds great.
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

VHT Pittbull CLX-100 thru a Madison 4x12, the biggest cab on earth= Massive Crunch and Ferocity. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X