Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who\'s playing "dry" ???

i am: Jackson - cord - 5150

i am looking for a delay though [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I run my guitar into a dist. pedal, then straight to the amp. Usually have the reverb set at about 3 or 4, or just off. Nothing else. I hate carrying around a lot of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by speed monkey:
        I've spent the better part of the last year running my Bogner Ecstacy 101b and my Splawn modded Marshall bone dry - no reverb, no effects -just guitar/cord/amp...It really started after I sold my Shiva and no longer had on-board reverb, and really haven't used the effects loops in either head..

It really leaves the tone wide open and is pretty exposing as far as your playing goes - and you know what? I like it! I think it's really made me pay more attention to whats coming out of the cab than the way the effects are working with what I'm doing - ultimately forcing me to play cleaner.

Anybody else running like this?

Steve E
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah I am right now with my xxl head and my behringer cab sold all my fx's and I am getting a x vamp foot board that was suppose to be here before my fx sold lol but they tell me it was shipped last week on tuesday so it should be here this week tues or weds , I hate playing dry I love the fx for atmosphere and stuff I am not a big fx user so thats why I am getting the x vamp , so even if it's kinda ok it will be enough for me , I just want a bit of delay chorus and a noise gate thats all , all the other stuff will be a bonus . might use some of the modeling stuff for recording but thats it . 100 presets and I'll probably only use maybe 25 if I go all out crazy lol //Steve

Comment

Re: Who\'s playing &quot;dry&quot; ???

I play warm up & picking exercises clean. Riffing & soloing songs with disto, BUT ALLWAYS DRY. That's how I corect my technique and how I can betterly hear what's Ok & What's wrong.
          Found that Fx steals dinamics & freq response to my tube amp. I prefer the fidelity that axe-tube brings.
          This is my personal taste.
          Would also like to add a harmonizer, just a bit for colouring solos.

Comment

does anyone else have a problem like I do? when my band plays, everything is so damn loud and noisy that I wouldnt be able to tell if I had reverb/delay on or not. It doesnt seem to make much of a difference. So I choose not to carry all my pedals and crap over.

my other guitar player has delay and reverb on full blast almost all the time. I dont think he practices without it. He legattos pretty much everything, and his tone is so hot and muddy that you hardly have to pick a note, you can just hammer on and pull off everything.

Comment

When I warm up I also play clean. In fact, when I'm just practicing at home I often play without the amp. If I can't make the guitar sound good acoustically, why bother?

Comment

i play completely dry, too.....because i dont own any fx units [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] maybe i'll get me a chorus, reverb and delay stompbox some time. but now...i dont need it. imo fx are for clean sounds only, with exeption of delay for leads. rythm has to be dry or you loose definition, and fx loaded lead kills your tone imo.

greets
                fragle

Comment

Dry rhythms to cut right through the mix
                  Delays on leads to fatten the tone a bit
                  Flange/Chorus on cleans
                  I use a G-Force through a MkIV FX loop. Amazing unit and you can easily get carried away.

Comment

i play with no effects. i play with very little gain (like an old non-master vol. marshall), i let the volume and moving air be my effects!!
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

No effects on my heavy rhythm tone. A little chorus on cleans occasionally, and very, very occasionally a wah on a solo. Nothing else.

Comment

I'm like most of you guys. I play my rhythms dry, a touch of reverb, delay or chorus on clean and whatever I feel like having for solos. However, I play most of my solos dry to. I prefer to add any effects later, with the exception of wah.

Comment

My sound is just plain amp. All I ever use in the way of pedals is an old Boss noisegate, a Boss EQ pedal for lead boost, and a Vox wah pedal on occasion. That's it.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I run My WR-1/RR-1 into a Boss NS-2 to an Engl Blackmore head. I get a killer tone, but I'd definitely use effects if I still had some money left over after buying all that gear [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . The only boxes I'd need would be delay, chorus, and probably a flanger. You know the basic stuff. I like the harmonized solos You can do with a delay pedal.

Comment

Adding effects during mix-down is generally the best idea. If you know what you're doing, you set stuff up so you hear your sound with a sound fx when you record a track, but your sound with be recorded dry. You can then add the effect during mix-down and hear the effected sound against all the other tracks.

Comment

All of my warm ups and picking exercises are played clean.
                                Then when I am planying/practicing songs, I play them how I would live (except with the volume down just a bit). Normally I have my effects pedals set up, but I hardly use them anymore, just a twinge of reverb now and then. So, I guess I play "mostly" dry. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X