Finally got started on my cabinet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got started on my cabinet.

I've been collecting the parts I need for a while, but I promised the wife I would finish renovating the bathroom before I started on it. So with the bathroom (almost) done, I started tonight on my 4 X 12 cabinet. I'm pretty much done with the woodworking part. I'll post pics tomorrow.

I used premium 11 ply birch, screwed and glued at the corners rather than dovetailed. I did this on the advice of a professional cabinet maker (furniture, not speaker). Dovetail jigs are very expensive, and he told me that in his opinion, screw and glue is much stronger anyway. To round over the corners, you just take out the screws, and drive them back in when all the routing is done. Wood filler covers them up before gluing on the tolex. They are of course countersunk.

For speakers, I bought a brand new set of Madison Symphonys. They were super cheap, and if they really suck, I'll rip them out and put something decent in there.

All of the other bits and pieces came from ebay, or Canadian Tire. I got the corners, tolex, jack plate, and handles from ebay, and the casters from Canadian Tire. All told, I probably have about $150 invested.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Finally got started on my cabinet.

Sweet. Please do post pics!

Comment

Yeah, make your wife happy and keep us posted!

Comment

If you didn't do it before, you might want to add some extra bracing on the corners. Just put a 1x1 strip of wood on the inside, then screw through that into the side wood. That joint's going NOWHERE after that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

OKay, this is the only pic I have right now. This was before doubling up the front, and putting in the speaker baffles. I still have some sanding to do, but it's getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
            If you didn't do it before, you might want to add some extra bracing on the corners. Just put a 1x1 strip of wood on the inside, then screw through that into the side wood. That joint's going NOWHERE after that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking of that myself. Either that, or a 3" x 3" triangular brace at each corner. You'd be surprised though, with the speaker baffles in, it feels like a rock. It doesn't flex at all.

Comment

It's one of those "Better safe than sorry" things. It adds just that much more durability. It's probably not neccesary (I doubt most cheaper cabs have them), but the five minutes and 12 screws are worth it, IMO.

The cab looks pretty good! Have you done much woodworking before? What, if anything, are you going to do to the cabint internally?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                It's one of those "Better safe than sorry" things. It adds just that much more durability. It's probably not neccesary (I doubt most cheaper cabs have them), but the five minutes and 12 screws are worth it, IMO.

The cab looks pretty good! Have you done much woodworking before? What, if anything, are you going to do to the cabint internally?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've done a small amount of woodworking, but nothing too serious.
                I probably will put in some Just-in-case bracing as you suggest. I'm basically using my Butcher cabinet as a pattern, so the inside will have no insulation, or dividers of any sort. Why fix it if it ain't broken. Of course I will have the brace that goes from the front to the back.

Comment

Really cool project!

What did you pay for the wood? I thought about building a box too, but found out that it is cheaper to buy a used one at least here in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by reprieve:
                    Really cool project!

What did you pay for the wood? I thought about building a box too, but found out that it is cheaper to buy a used one at least here in Germany.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're right, it probably does work out cheaper in general to buy a used one. However, unless it is in super mint condition, it probably looks used, and has scuffs, tears, etc.

This will be a brand new cabinet, that ends up costing 1/3 to 1/2 of a mass produced one. Plus, I get to choose what kind of Tolex, and other details.

Fortunately, I got the plywood from where I work. I get it at cost which works out to about $36 U.S. for a 4' x 8' sheet.

Comment

Very nice, bro! Reminds me year 2001, when me & cousin made my SLO Clone (PCB, Hand wired Trannies, chasis, cabinet, F&R panels: almost anything)& Speaker Cab. Real pleasure designing specs, cosmetics, choosing materials, etc. Really proud too when finished. Can only compare it to buiding & designing your own house. Hail to yor spirit!

Comment

Okay, here are a couple more pictures. The baffles are just tacked in place. I still have to round over the corners, cut the holes for the handles, and then it's ready for the tolex.

Today I aquired a 3'-0" x 4'-0" piece of perforated 16ga steel. This will be used as the speaker grill. Let's see the damn cats try to claw steel. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'll be painting it black, and there will be plenty left over to regrill the front of the Randall head I just bought.

Comment

SCHWEET. Please keep posting the status / update pics!

And come to think of it, when you're done, post clips, too! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keith
                          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I'd love to be able to post clips, but I don't have anywhere to host them. I use Photobucket for the pics. Is there anywhere that hosts sound files?

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                              I'd love to be able to post clips, but I don't have anywhere to host them. I use Photobucket for the pics. Is there anywhere that hosts sound files?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do!
                              Just send them to [email protected] and I will upload them on my account.

Comment

Working...
                              X