tolex styles... opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tolex styles... opinions?

Here are a few pics of the head cab for my high gain amp I'm working on (hellcat):

And a few pics of the bomber jacket type leather for my EL84 amp:

Opinions? I also have some carbon fiber pattern tolex that I'm going to mess with too...

Pete

Re: tolex styles... opinions?

To be honest, I don't really like the first one...there are the obvious Mesa connotations, which isn't really a bad thing, but those are so closely assosciated with Mesa amps (and the toolbox in the back of my dad's truck).

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
      To be honest, I don't really like the first one...there are the obvious Mesa connotations, which isn't really a bad thing, but those are so closely assosciated with Mesa amps (and the toolbox in the back of my dad's truck).
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's cool. I still dig it tho. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Should look a little different when it's finished and I have the brushed aluminum faceplate and carbon fiber front panel.

Pete

Comment

I love the diamond plate look on the first example. It is certainly associated with Mesa, but I think you could still make it look very cool, and with use of other materials, e.g., the carbon fiber you refer to, and maybe the Red Line knobs like that racing Jackson SL2H uses, you could make it look very cool.

Comment

Where do you get all of this great Tolex?!

Comment

Originally posted by Metalcop:
            Where do you get all of this great Tolex?!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The brown stuff came from a local fabric store, of all places. My wife took me there... it was a bonding moment for us. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The carbon fiber and diamond plate I got from here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/

Pete

Comment

I dont like the bomber leather very much, but I do dig the diamond plate Mushy reference or not!

Comment

I think they are both pretty cool. It's great that you're trying something other than the standard black. I'm covering my new cabinet with purple lizard skin tolex, and using what's left over to re-cover my Randall 100 watt tube head.

Are you using contact cement to glue the tolex on?
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

i unfortunately don't like either. i find that the second one looks dirty. id love to see a cab tolexed in carbon fibre though! basketball 'leather' is also cool, a guy did his 5150 in that and it looked amazing.

Comment

No need to apologize if you don't like em... these are for me : ) I just like being able to offer people a wide variety of custom options, since I'm a one man band.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                      No need to apologize if you don't like em... these are for me : ) I just like being able to offer people a wide variety of custom options, since I'm a one man band.

Pete
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I repeat: "Are you using contact cement to glue the tolex on? " [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twisteramps:

Pete
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I repeat: "Are you using contact cement to glue the tolex on? " [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I definitely like the look of the black diamondplate material. I would like the look of the brown material if I was going to do an "aged" look on a cabinet. Really has that "vintage " feel if ya know what I mean. I agree with you Pete about trying to offer a multitude of different options but it can be difficult when you can't order in major quantities sometimes [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I like the bomber jacket covering but not the diamond plate. Personally, I never thought the diamond plate looked that great on the Mesa amps, either. Just my two cents, though.
                            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                              I definitely like the look of the black diamondplate material. I would like the look of the brown material if I was going to do an "aged" look on a cabinet. Really has that "vintage " feel if ya know what I mean. I agree with you Pete about trying to offer a multitude of different options but it can be difficult when you can't order in major quantities sometimes [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave->
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure. One advantage that I do have is that if someone wanted say a red tolex head, not a big deal for me. A little upcharge because I'd have to source the tolex and have it shipped, but nothing like say Marshall or Fender would nail you for even if they would do it in the first place.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X