best eq for a rack set up???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best eq for a rack set up???

just wondered if you guys had any ideas on what eq i could use to improve my sound. i'm currently using kelly ke2 to jmp-1, t-eq 15 band graphic eq (does the job, but is probably the weak link in my set up)& marshall el34 50/50 power amp for a chunky thrash sound.
    alesis used to do a midi controlled eq that would have been perfect, but i've never seen any on sale anywhere, as they're discontinued. any ideas?

Re: best eq for a rack set up???

Mh,maybe a Rane midi graphic eq,never tried one but they should be pretty good.

Comment

Try out a BBE Sonic Maximizer or similar product like Behringer Ultrafex II. These units go for NO money used, so trying them out won't cost you much.

They are what i would call "intelligent" equalizers - you basically can't change how they equalize your sound - only how much they do it. I am generalizing. Subtle changes can be done.

The impact these units have on the average thin, midrange-noisy metal sounds in the JMP-1 is HUGE. It has to be heard to be believed. Yes, it's good for scooped sounds and it kind of cleans up your distorted sounds, making it stand out more defined and tight. Brutal.

If you overdo it with its settings, it's gonna sound terrrible. Be warned.

Many modern amps today are voiced toward this sound (e.g. some ENGL models), so some players don't use theses sonic maximizers anymore, because they found a way to get brutal without it.

For your old JMP-1 i'd say try it!

Some guys would say that the JMP-1 alone will do it all (enter horns666) and i respect that. All i say is: buy a used unit and try it for yourself. Don't like it, sell it with no money loss.

/Henrik
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Rocktron Pro Q

Comment

some interesting ideas, haven't really thought about using an enhancer, i'm not really sure if that's what i'm looking for tho.

i'm pretty happy with my basic sound from the jmp-1 (i think there's a trick to setting these up that everyone seems to miss), the EQ is used mainly to separate my sound from the other guitarist's sound in the band. I have a huge cut about 600hz & a small cut at 1khz plus a slight boost around 2.5khz, he cuts around 400hz and boosts around 1khz. I'm not really wanting to CHANGE the sound as much as REFINE it. not sure if i'd get that kind of control from the pro-q or the sonic maximizer.
          thinking about it, i'm probably looking for a midi EQ, which no one seems to make any more...

ps. couldn't really find any info on the rane eq, got a link?

cheers

Comment

No bro,sorry

EDIT: Have you tried google? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] RANE HP [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yeh, had a look around the rane site, but i didn't see it. I'll keep an eye out for someone that sells it in the UK, most likely ebay, heheh
              cheers

Comment

I've owned the Pro-Q, many of the BBEs, and the Behringer junk as well. Can't say I'd recommend any of them.

In my CAE3+se/VHT 2150 rack, I've settled on an old Furman PQ-3 as the most useable EQ I've used. Noisy as hell though, but quite musical. I have another unit in mind that should be much better and I'll tell you about when I (hopefully) get it in my hands shortly.

Comment

Roland SRQ 4015. Digital Midi single space rack mount. I have picked up two for less than 100.00/piece as new. In fact one was new for 77.00. + 10.00 ship.
                  Roland E660 parametric is a nice piece if you can find it. Older 2 space rack mount- midi as well. They usually go in the 100-150.00 range.
                  Peavey has some also.. the SEQ? I believe that is the series. Seem to go for a reasonable price but haven't tried them.

Comment

Roland stuff is usually pretty good too...

Something try for me as well! Thanx!

Comment

I have a BBE 422A for sale in excellent shape if you are interested.

Comment

I used a Rane programable EQ in my rig for several years - it was good but not great, it always felt like something was missing. The ProQ was the worst EQ I ever heard on Guitar. It does something artifical to the upper frequencies that drove me nuts. Some people swear by them, but I would never use one.

I don't run EQ in my rig anymore, but when I did the ART half rack space TubeEQ was great. It equalized the sound without sounding artificial, which is what an EQ should do. You can find those used for about $100. It's a tube unit but the tube runs so cold that it's only in there for marketing, so I wouldn't worry about getting a bad tube they run cold enought that they'll never go bad [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Furman parametrics are really nice as well, but like Cleveland said, they're a bit noisy.

I would stay away from a graphic EQ for guitar - they tend to be too surgical in their treatement of guitar signals and they can really do more harm than good. Parametrics will give a nice smooth curve to the equalization which I find to be much more pleasing on guitar. I also am completely unimpressed with the digital EQs, they just don't sound natural to me - except the EQ in the TC Electronics M-2000, but $1,000 may be a bit excessive just to have programability.
                        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

i had considered getting a parametric eq, as long as it has at least 4 bands. Saw a Furman EQ for £600 odds, don't think it's worth it just for an eq! I'll keep an eye out for the ART eq tho (think they are/were about £200 new in the UK tho!) I'm pretty much of the same opinion about the digital stuff- i'm sure the really high end stuff is fine, but any digital units I've tried do something really wierd to the sound that really fucks it up, and I'd want to keep things as organic sounding as possible (I'm playing black thrash metal, but I go for a sound more similar to glen tipton's than anything else).

programability would be a big bonus, but I don't have that at the moment, so I can live without it i guess

Comment

The only digital EQ that I've heard that really sounds great is the Weiss... and at $4,000 I'm not putting that in my guitar rack to drag around to shows.
                            ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Crooks:
                              I don't run EQ in my rig anymore, but when I did the ART half rack space TubeEQ was great. It equalized the sound without sounding artificial, which is what an EQ should do. You can find those used for about $100. It's a tube unit but the tube runs so cold that it's only in there for marketing, so I wouldn't worry about getting a bad tube they run cold enought that they'll never go bad [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As the current owner of Matt's old ART Tube EQ, I just thought I'd add that it sounds way better than the various graphic EQs I've used. There are times when a graphic EQ is helpful, but I would be more inclined to use it in a recording rig, and keep use a parametric in the guitar rig specifically.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X