Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cab for laney gh head

hi all

i just bought a laney gh50l head (ebay), and now i'm obviously in the need for a cabinet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i'm on a budget, so i would greatly appreciate if the cab is about 300€. at the moment i'm looking into the behringer 400w cabs (260 new) and the standart 1960 marshall cab (~350€ used).
    at the moment i tend towards the behringer, not only because its cheaper, but it's also more "neutral" if you know what i mean. i more or less want the laney sound to come through, and not colour it marshall-y or mesa-ish.
    so, if anyone can give me advice i'd be grateful.

greets
    fragle

ps: if a cab is WAY better than the ones mentioned, i'm willing to pay more, but i'd say 500€ is my limit. ah, and please, no mesa cab's, because even used they are twice as much as i can afford [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: cab for laney gh head

I'd avoid the behringer if i was you, i think they give a fizzy kind of sound i'm not that keen on. have you considered building your own cab? you could end up with a better cab than either the behringer or the marshall for less money than either.

Comment

not really, because i dont know jack when it comes to cabs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] you gotta now that this is my first tube head (or head in general)´so i have no clue when it comes to cabs [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

greets
      fragle

Comment

fair enough. i'd say look out for 2nd hand marshall or laney cabs then,
        cheers

Comment

well, i spotted two cabs on ebay. one is a marshall jcm800 1960B cab (260w rms....thats 65w per speaker....vintage 30s??) http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

the other one is a laney gs412IA
          http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

both auctions will end in less than 5h and i estimate they will go for ~300€, +-50€ - affordable.

so, which one do you recommend? i'm not sure what to think about the marshall cab, because i never heard an old jcm800 cab. furthermore, it seems like its impedance isnt switchable but fixed at 16ohm......is that a bad thing?

greets
          fragle

Comment

that's a tough one, I'd say the marshall's a better deal if they go for about the same (mainly because you'd expect to pay more for the name). I think the Laney has celestion speakers in it, so both should sound equally good. If you're only going to run the cab mono (which i expect you will) then i don't think the marshall being fixed at 16 ohms should be a problem. Another thing is the laney is slanted and the marshall straight- I prefer straight cabs for sound myself, but a lot of others might reccomend the slanted cab. aaagh, i really don't know.
            If you're looking for a modern neutral tone, you might be best going with the laney (it's in better nick too, but that's not a big worry with a speaker cab), but I'd expect to pay a bit less for the laney than the marshall...

Comment

alright, i got the laney for 236€. nice deal if you ask me. 3 years old in a very good condition....list price is about 600€
              hell, 236€, thats even less than a new behringer....and the laney cab is supposed to be the better one, isn't it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

greets
              fragle

Comment

Good Price! Especially for our german ebay [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My Behringer isn't fizzy sounding at all, side by side next to my friends Mesa cab it sounds a hell of alot tighter, it's all in the speakers. I replaced them with some 70/80's and now it's just full as all hell.

Comment

Ampeg 4x12's (the series that match the Lee Jackson heads) are pretty good sounding as well... nearly that Marshall "thump", usually for about 1/2 the price...

Comment

Originally posted by InFlamedMonkey:
                      My Behringer isn't fizzy sounding at all, side by side next to my friends Mesa cab it sounds a hell of alot tighter, it's all in the speakers. I replaced them with some 70/80's and now it's just full as all hell.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">exactly! it's pretty hard to fuck up a wooden box.
                      Great deal on the laney Fragle,
                      cheers [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X