Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twister Poweramp just about done... pic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Twister Poweramp just about done... pic!

Sound great Pete! Cool theme too. "Arm/Disarm" very cool touch!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Sweet! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      If anyone's doubting Pete's amp-building skill (or how loud these things can get with 3 watts), you really are missing out - Pete Knows Amps [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete, if you want Rub-on Transfers for logos/decals instead of screening, check out www.beldecal.com - I haven't tried the Rub-Ons yet (got em last week), but the Flying Tiger graphic thing on that Model 2 body was their waterslide decal paper.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
        Sweet! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        If anyone's doubting Pete's amp-building skill (or how loud these things can get with 3 watts), you really are missing out - Pete Knows Amps [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete, if you want Rub-on Transfers for logos/decals instead of screening, check out www.beldecal.com - I haven't tried the Rub-Ons yet (got em last week), but the Flying Tiger graphic thing on that Model 2 body was their waterslide decal paper.

Newc
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Interesting... that might be cool for one offs. I dig the screen printing because if I'm doing more than one, it's pretty quick once it's set up.

Thanks for the props! How's your twisteramp doing? Record anything cool with it lately?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Dave:
          Sound great Pete! Cool theme too. "Arm/Disarm" very cool touch!
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Dave! I was looking for anything other than 'on/off' and standby. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I understand the signal loss concept..kinda figured that was why it does not have one. You look at Groove Tubes solo head.. it's clean and simple and get a variety of tones on swapping out tubes. I look forward the hi gain clips tho. I agree, the more variances in gain one can achieve, the happier in dialing tone I would become. If you could dail it to use many differing tube compliments like a Univalve..that would be even better! Ultimately, I myself would seek an amp that is basically like three amps in one.. like Traces Trident with separate eq's for each section. Hughes Kettner triamp I believe is like that.

[ May 19, 2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy:
              I understand the signal loss concept..kinda figured that was why it does not have one. You look at Groove Tubes solo head.. it's clean and simple and get a variety of tones on swapping out tubes. I look forward the hi gain clips tho. I agree, the more variances in gain one can achieve, the happier in dialing tone I would become. If you could dail it to use many differing tube compliments like a Univalve..that would be even better! Ultimately, I myself would seek an amp that is basically like three amps in one.. like Traces Trident with separate eq's for each section. Hughes Kettner triamp I believe is like that.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you pay a small price in tone when you get the amps that have a bazillion channels/options. Before I get flamed by an owner of such an amp, I'm not saying that simple amps always sound better... just that if that three channel VHT or Bogner only had one channel and didn't have all the different doodads and options, it would probably sound a little better. Not be as versatile, but sound better. Kinda like the Soldano Hot Rod series... everything I've read about those say that the one channel version sounds much better than the two channel one.

Just my opinion. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] One of these days I'll probably do a 2 channel amp, I did a footswitchable relay in my EL84 amp, and that's the hardest part. I just think you lose a little tone when you start deviating from a simple path.

Pete

Comment

What will the output be on the high gain model? Do you ever plan on making anything loud enough to play a club? Sounds awesome with just 3W though!!

Comment

Pete is this currently available through you or is this just a prototype?
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
                    Pete is this currently available through you or is this just a prototype?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Totally available. email me for details. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Pete, that amp is way cool (jr)! I cannot wait to fire that up. It should enable me to use my Mesa Quad at a reasonable volume.

It also ended my search for a decent 1 x 12 combo. I will be using the Super Fortress as a small head with my Bogner 1 x 12.

Pete, make sure you ship it with some of your chops!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                        What will the output be on the high gain model? Do you ever plan on making anything loud enough to play a club? Sounds awesome with just 3W though!!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks man. I'm probably going to run an EL34 for the high gain (I prefer those tubes over 6L6s personally) so around 10 watts. Still with an attenuator.

I think the dual EL84 amp I have that runs about 15 watts would work for a small club cranked... I played gigs with an 18 watt Budda and a THD univalve running a 6V6 with no problems. It can be done if you don't mind lack of a crystal clean tone and have an efficient cabinet.

Pete

Comment

Oh, I agree on your philosophy.. that is why I have an abundance of amps that are basically one or few trick ponies. Outside of price..it was the reason why I bought a Bonneville over the Trident when I shopped Trace. Most amps were built that way, they established their sounds in the industry just because they were good at what they did and did it well.

A lot of people can't afford or care to have mulitple amp setups to lug about... which is why the popularity of modellers vs the purist and the crossovers of all the in betweens.

I look at the custom built Dirty Boy amps of Blues Saraceno..those seem to have really great tones of many amps. In fact, I think Blues has some of the most appealing guitar sounds outside of his unique style. It seems his Dad hand built those amps so that they could do Mesa, Marshall, Fender as well as their own voicings. His amps have a variac built into it! as well as a few other tricks like two output trans as found on some of the really old Marshalls. If anything, they tout their amps as being overbuilt, but not compromising in tone. I wish they were commercially available.

[ May 19, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ace, it should be loud enough for a club, even with only 3 or 4 watts [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            I've got one of the 4 watt prototypes, and it's easily as loud as my Fender RocPro 1000 head, which is the head (power section) that I used through a Carvin 2x12 cab when I had a band, and the Fender was plenty loud enough for a 300-500 capacity club/bar, so the Twisteramp should be as well.
                            One of the things I like about it is that it maintains the tone over the whole spectrum - from bedroom (3 a.m. when everyone else is asleep) to full-on, you get the same *preamp/poweramp* tone, just varying degrees of cabinet tone. It doesn't get thin and weak at low volumes. The Fender went from "thrash in the bedroom" to "farty loud live", but the Twisteramp just gets loud.

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"this has been a paid announcement for Twisteramps Professional Amplification Systems Inc." [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                                "this has been a paid announcement for Twisteramps Professional Amplification Systems Inc." [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, Newc's next royalty check is on the way.

The best part of building this stuff is knowing that someone enjoys it that much. Well, that and getting paid to do something I enjoy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X