Smokey Deluxe amp...anybody have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey Deluxe amp...anybody have one?

I checked out the little video attached to this auction. Are these things pretty cool? For the price, it doesn't seem like you could go wrong. I'd like to try one, but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it first.
    Dana <~~~

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...724639391&rd=1
    '85 Rhoads Custom
    '86 SD Str*t
    '86 Model 4 (5)
    '87 Model 1
    '87 Model 6
    '88 Model 3DR
    '90 650 XL
    '94 KE-3
    '97 DR Amberburst
    '97 Dinky BOFlames
    '05 SD Copperhead

Re: Smokey Deluxe amp...anybody have one?

I got one of these free prepackaged in a box of D'Addarios several years ago as a bonus. I've got the see-through green one like in the pics there. Personally, I think the thing sounds horrible.

Stu

Comment

Thanks man. That's the info I was looking for.
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I've got one in a Camel Lights pack (former smoker nostalgia). It does sound horrible. But in that good/horrible as a novelty kind of way. Its basically buzzy sounding. It handles vintage sounding single coils pretty well, but fuzzes and clips out (not the good kind of clipping) with high output pickups.

On its own, the best sound I achived was with a strat into a Tubescreamer, into the Lil' Smokey. This produced a small tweed kind of tone.

I did power my 1x12 cab with it. The sound becomes much more tolerable through a big speaker.

Still, its a novelty, and I grew tired of it after a weekend.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I was in a store a few years ago, and one of the salesmen was showing me one of the Smokeys in the cigarette boxes. He was like, "check this out-it can power a 4x12!" he plugged it into a marshallcab and started playing some AC/DC riffs-I think it sounded about as good as you could expect from an amp in a cigarette box. It had a decent bedroom level volume through the cab too. They are what they are, a tiny amp with a tiny speaker. Cool to mess around with, but serve no real purpose.

Comment

They are built around 386 op amps I believe... you can 'roll your own' for under $10. I built something like that in a candy tin once.

Pete

Comment

I have two of them. I like to hide them in different corners of the room and play around with ping-pong delay from my DD5 when friends come over stoned.
              [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

using the internal speaker thaey sound shit
                but powering a guitar cab they sound pretty cool

David

Comment

Working...
                X