Peavey XXX Users... I need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX Users... I need your help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Guys,

I'm gonna test drive my buddy's Triple XXX tonight.
    I was hoping that you could give me some sample settings to help get me started.

Any help is appreciated!

Many Thanks! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Peavey XXX Users... I need your help!

Start with the EQ settings in the middle and keep the gain levels low to start. I keep the gain levels at 11 o'clock or lower. If you crank the master up to the 2 or 3 o'clock position and use the channel volumes to control the overall level it sounds better. Not as thin and buzzy sounding.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Cool!
      Thanks Jerry!

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP:
        Start with the EQ settings in the middle and keep the gain levels low to start. I keep the gain levels at 11 o'clock or lower. If you crank the master up to the 2 or 3 o'clock position and use the channel volumes to control the overall level it sounds better. Not as thin and buzzy sounding.
        Jerry
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep! That's about how I have her plugged up....

Comment

For my rhythm tone I have been scooping the crunch ch and setting the dampening to loose. This combined with EMG 81 loaded guitars has given me a great heavy chug.

I was using tight and medium for the longest time cuz I like a nice tight sound, but with the 81's and the mids scooped it was plenty tight already so loosening up the dampening gave it a nice rumble. (Using 11-54's helps too)

Still have to try some EL34's.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

VERY COOL!
            Thanks Fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JerryP:
              Jerry
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep! That's about how I have her plugged up.... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto.

I like lots of kick, so I have the bass turned up pretty far on crunch: like, 3 or 4 o'clock. That's when it is just me playing, with that much bass, I'd step on the bass player (if there was one...)

Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Talking about EL34's, I threw some older EL34's I had lying around, and rebiased from the bias adjustment to -41 VDC, and what a difference! Im also am running the head at 60 watts by taking the 2 center tubes out and doubling the impendence. I don't play out anymore so whats the use of 120 tube watts in the bedroom?? But anyways, the EL34's still do heavier metal, but I do hear an extended mid range, more so then what the stock 6L6GC's could pump, and since I'm a mids guy, I like it. It's a great amp that is definately worth the price, and the time that it takes to find the tone you like.

Comment

Dont you wanna half the impedence, not double it? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

So, do you just plug a regular volt meter into the terminals and adjust?

Erotubes says the test points on the amp are measuring voltage and not plate current. So what voltage do you adjust to?

I'm confused.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Im no expert by any means, but I always thought the rule of thumb was to double the impendence to make up 2 missing tubes. It's always worked for me.

As for the biasing, Bob from Eurotubes is right. I beleive that by biasing an amp, your regulating how much voltage is being applied to the tubes, thats why I tested the termials with a multimeter set to VDC to check voltage, not mA for current. I believe plate current is measured in mA (milliamps). I'm definatley not an expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
                      As for what to set it to? I've read that around -55 VDC is good for 6L6GC's, and around -40 VDC is good for EL34's. The bias trim pot is designed for you to try it out by ear and see what bias voltage sounds good to your ear. Counter clockwise = hotter bias (more voltage) for it. Just remeber not to dime on that because it will stress your tubes and burn them up very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by john:
                        I'm definatley not an expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

It's spelled definitely. No "A" in there. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, you said to correct you! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

When you pull 2 tubes you have to set the amp impedance to half of what the cabinet is. If you have a 16 ohm cab you would set the amp to 8 ohms when you pull 2 tubes.
                          The bias test points measure bias voltage which really tells you nothing about where the tubes are running.
                          Jerry
                          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I have been wanting to replace the tubes in my Triple XXX and I was wondering if anyone wanted to let me know exactly what I would need to rebias the amp for the new tubes. I've never really messed around with biasing, but I'd like to learn and at the same time I don't want to destroy the head or burn out the tubes that I'm going to throw in there. If anyone wants to maybe work up a guide to biasing or something for us amp newbies that would cool too.

I'm considering loading EL34s to see if I can get a better tone. I'm shooting for that sort of Swedish "death metal" tone (see In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc). Is this a wise choice? John, maybe you can help me out with this since you have yours loaded with EL34s. And more generally to everyone else who knows anything about tubes; I've heard good things about JJ tubes and Groove Tubes, is one brand better than the other?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I have some tech links on my page that describe the bias process. There a good one on the Duncan Amps site. The best thing you can do is buy a bias probe if you plan to bias your own amp. Go to WeberVST he sells them.
                              Jerry
                              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X